Imperial City and Citadel

Hue Travel Blog

Saw Imperial City which turned out to be very muddy with lots of buildings undergoing construction work. The only nice things were the gates. There were also these two pools with loads of fish in them, and they followed us as we walked up and down in the hope of getting fed! Sometimes I think all this tourism and commercialism is bad, when you see things like that. The fish have become dependent on the tourist buying fish food from the hawker as an ‘activity’ to the tourist.

We followed some guy (Jesus) because I bet Livia it was weirdo guy from Hanoi Flashpacker Hostel. I was right. He wore these really tight shorts and t-shirt for the whole time in Hanoi and I desperately hoped they were his pyjamas. I was wrong. Livia also thought she saw a monk but later on when we got close it just turned out to be a Western guy wearing a poncho that looked like monk robes from a distance!

Went back and watched some more movies, we managed to get in some food before the downpour this time.  There was this whole section of a street with lots of restaurant all boasting “Mentioned in: Lonely Planet, Rough Guide, Insight...” and I think they even made up a few names of travel guides which made us laugh. Livia ordered an iced hot chocolate (no, it doesn’t make sense to me either) which apparently consisted of a huge ice cube with a bit of chocolate powder.
photo by: Paulovic