Descending Dragon Bay (Halong)

Halong Bay Travel Blog

After almost losing our ticket and a very cramped 3 hour bus ride (for Livia anyway, I was spread out in the aisle- literally) we arrived at Halong Bay. I was a bit unsure of this trip as I'd read mixed reviews. But Halong Bay is spectacular. A tourist trap, yes. But amazing nonetheless.

We went to a floating village where there livlihood was fishing (surprise). There was a little 2 room school which they had to rebuild because it got destroyed in the typhoon or tycoon (I forgot) last year. Got on another smaller boat ti a cave lagoon thing that was in the film 'Indochine'. So far the trip was good, the only problem was there wasn't enough food! We had to share with another couple (Dutchy and Dutchess, we forget names) and me and Livia could have easily eaten all the food ourselves. At dinner they stole like the WHOLE fish, seriously, they gave us half and then took it back! We made a skeleton out of the remains of the bones and I kissed the head (there's a photo somewhere). Spent the rest of the night on the top deck just watching the sun set.

Later on in our cabin (which was well nice) we found a trap door, so obviously opened it. Bad mistake. Somehow I let go of Livia torch while charging it and it got flung across the room and round the corner and landed down the hole. With the battery remaining. Which Livia threw in in anger. It was well funny (yeah you had to be there) and then we couldn't put the door down and couldn't get out of our room for ages!

Halong Bay