Christmas Day- Sleeping Rough

Hanoi Travel Blog

Christmas Day doesn’t feel like Christmas Day when I’m not wearing three layers of clothes (okay, it was still quite cold in Hanoi so I did have to wear my jumper)  and when I wake up in a hostel with strangers all around me, and when I go downstairs and there’s Australians talking loudly, and when I go outside into the street and there’s pineapples for sale, and a thousand motorbikes zooming down the pavement/ road.

I went to pick up my camera (yay) so I can finally take photos again, and it was a nice Christmas present to me even if it did cost a lot to get fixed! Then we went Christmas shopping.  I bought an awesome bowl and chopstick set for the secret Santa thing at the hostel, and bought Livia some junk she’ll love, for like 5p. We went back to the hostel for the Christmas party which involved a 3 course Christmas dinner with all the trimmings and free drink (well not really free because we had to pay for the Christmas party, so more, included drinks). Why do people even call it ‘trimmings’? Another thought for another day, or a long bus ride.

Scotty ended up getting my present and used it for beer (bloody Kiwi's) and I got some toy cars (just what I wanted) and Livia got snake wine. Started singing carols and 118 (this guy that looked like the 118 guy) started banging on the table really hard and knocked a bottle over Wimbledon (he designs oil rigs so he’s probably used to spillages, ha ha. Gosh that was a bad joke.) Carried on drinking for the rest of the day until they ran out of booze and then we took Scotty for his first bia hoi experience, somehow we convinced him not to follow the crowd to the Irish bar AGAIN, he’ll thank us. We also found a little kebab stall and succumbed to those, a couple of those. Sang a few Christmas carols, including mine and Livia’s Vietnamese version of ’12 Days of Christmas’.

Livia and I had checked out of the hostel because we would have had to leave at 4am and didn’t want to pay for half a night, so we hung out for a bit drinking free coffee and using the free internet whilst we could. Finally got bored at around midnight after speaking to Billy the Stoner, and saying goodbye to Scotty (after he moaned at us for sprinkling his bed with tinsel) So we finally decided to it was time to leave Hanoi for the last time. Arrived at the airport at 1am only to find it was closed. So we just laid on the really comfy sparkling clean floor for ages, until we saw a rat and then the security guards let us in and showed us downstairs where we slept on and off for hours until we checked in at like 6am or something stupid. It didn’t help that the ATMs sung- okay, not quite sung but there was definite tunes coming out of them.
photo by: mario26