Beer Lao and Lao-Lao

Don Khong Travel Blog

Went to the other islands of Don Det and Don Khone today. There really are 4000 islands dotted in the Mekong; it's like some inland delta, so strange. It's blissfully nice and quiet though and Don Khone doesn't even have electricity Saw this awesome waterfall (Sophammit/Li Phi or something) and climbed right to the bottom so all the water was gushing towards me, and then I scaled the rock face back up which produced lots of sweat dripping off my face. Somehow, the more north we go, the hotter it gets. After the waterfall we cycled to some sandy beach with rocks and stuff and there were loads of things in the rock pool and I somehow ripped the bum bit of my shorts so my bum hangs out now. Went back to the 'main' bit and had iced Ovaltine (we realise it's our Laos drink, Vietnam was iced coffee, Cambodia was mango shakes- I know, we have exciting conversations) and then got on our boat for our long-arse journey back home.

Finally got back and had nap-time and then later on ate dinner and had our first BeerLao or 3 and some lao-lao (rice liquor… or something) which laughing woman made from scratch and it was so sour. It didn’t help that it get served as a whole glass rather than a shot… Hey well. Put us to sleep.
Don Khong