Relaxing in "Het Vinne"

Zoutleeuw Travel Blog

We had a lovely day with some first rays of spring sun today, and so all Belgians go out to enjoy the seldom good weather on this Easter Monday. My mom and I went to take a walk in Zoutleeuw, in a small natural reserve called "Het Vinne".

I didn't really know what to expect but my mom told me it's nice there so I gave it a go. It was a surprisingly fun afternoon. I will write the more specific information about this place down in the review, yet most important to know that "Het Vinne" is a small lake full of cane and animals. There's hundreds of frogs and during spring the place is also swarmed with birds that fill the air with their "laughter". The scenery is quite different for Belgian standards, and very peaceful.

Because the lake is very small it makes a nice half day trip, easy to walk with children. There's plenty of pick-nick spots around and ofcourse a bistro with outdoor terrace to have a lovely beer or snack when the trip is done.

It was nice to have some sun today, as I'm still not over ending my Vietnam trip and tomorrow will be my first day back to work... I could use some distraction and I really didn't want to stay inside the house all the time. We had a great time. I recommend "Het Vinne" for anyone who is either very much into birdwatching, or just likes a peaceful stroll in relaxing scenery, or a day of with the kids, this is a perfect setting.

I know that not many foreign people visit the Belgian countryside, but I hope this blog may be useful to someone someday. We do have some nice Flemish scenery to offer really :) And the city of Zoutleeuw is also very nice, with a very old church and central square that both date back to the dark ages. A surprisingly nice place!
Zoutleeuw Sights & Attractions review
Among the cane and birds
Het Vinne is a small natural reserve based around a little lake in Zoutleeuw, a city located in the East of Belgium (Flemish part). It therefore makes… read entire review
Zoutleeuw