Stockholm Day 4: Südermalm and Gamla Stan again

Stockholm Travel Blog

 › entry 4 of 4 › view all entries

After checking out, we left our luggage in the hotel and walked down Ringvagen to Vita Bergen, a park with 18th century houses and the Sofia Kyrka.

It looked like our luck was runing out. There was a faint drizzle, not enough to get the umbrella out, but enough to be annoying. We pressed on, climbing the steep hill to the church and then down the other side. Somehow we got a bit disorriented and ended up on the wrong side of the park, but we quickly found our way again. Stockholm really isn't complicated to get around if you have a decent map.

We walked along Erstagatan to Ersta Drakonimuseet and then followed pitoresque Fjällgatan, which gave us a very nice view of the islands, to Katarinakyrka. It looked like this was the route most tourist busses take, as we were passed by first a Russian and then a Norwegian tour bus.

They dropped their cargo of tourists who quickly took a few pictures and then got back to their nice, cozy and warm seat.

We, on the other hand, trodded on through the cold, and didn't feel bad about it.

By way of Moseback Torg, we got to Katarinahissen, a walkway that offered a brilliant view of the clover leaf junction of Slussen and the island beyond.

At the end of the walkway was a lift. It looked old and dirty and we wondered if it was still in use. I pressed the button. Nothing happened for a while, but then the lights came on and we heard the lift moving. The doors reluctantly opened and there was someone sitting inside. First I thought it was someone in a wheelchair, and I moved out of the way to let him out. But then it dawned on me that he was the 'driver' of the lift.

He had made himself quite comfortable. There were pictures on the wall and he had just poured himseld a nice cup of coffee from his thermos. We got in and handed him two 10 kronor coins, after which he leaned over and pushed a button. Doors closed and the lift went down.

After we had gotten out and 7 other people had gotten into the lift to go up, we burst out laughing. This was so surreal.

We continued walking, past the Stadmuseet, down Hornsgatan. This street, accross the Maria Magdalena Kyrka, had a lot of art galleries, but, this being monday morning, they were all closed. We took a right down a side street and ended up in a little park, Mariaberget, which we followed west. Down below us was a busy road, and across the water, we saw Gamla Stan and Riddarholmen.

We walked for a while longer, grabbed a coffee and a sandwich, but this area of Südermalm seemed rather uninteresting. Getting tired of walking in the rain with nothing to see, we decided to head back to Gamla Stan. Two days prior, the crowds had made it impossible to really 'see' the place, so we walked to the closest Tunnelbana and took the subway to Gamla Stan station.

For the remainder of the day, we walked along Stora Nygatan, explored the side streets, did some Christmas shopping, had a muffin or two and then went back to the hotel to pick up our luggage.

After that, it was back to T-Centralen and the Flygbus to Bromma airport, where our flight was delayed by an hour. But we didn't mind. We liked Stockholm, and we have a feeling we will be back some day...

in summer though...

Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Chokk