Stockholm Day 3: Blasieholmen, Skeppsholmen and Djurgarden

Stockholm Travel Blog

Blasieholms Torg

We started our walk where we had left off the day before, at Gustav Adolfs Torg, with the Royal Opera, the Dansmuseet and the Medelhavsmuseet, and headed along Strömgatan to Kungsträdgärden. We looked for the bronze horses on Blasieholmsgatan and then walked along the water to Skeppsholms bridge.

There's something to be said about cities by the water, be it a river, canal or lake. To me personally, it adds to the atmosphere. I like water. Well, that is to say, I like to be NEAR water, but not exactly IN water. I like boats and there were plenty of those around. Next to Skeppsholmen island was the old Af Chapman, formerly know as The Dunboyne, built in 1888 and now a youth hostel. Across the water were cruise ships and in the distance, massive ferries.

I loved it.

We basically had Skeppsholmen to ourselves. There were hardly any people in Admiralitetsparken and the museums. I was also disappointed by the sculpture garden, which had some art by Niki de Saint Phalle, whom I'm not really a fan of.

But we had a nice walk and, though cold, it was dry and we had fun, which is what matters.

Kastellholmen seemed even less interesting than Skeppsholmen, so we didn't even bother going there.

Instead we took the ferry to Djurgarden, which cost a hefty 30 kronor but which was still better than swimming. We didn't bother with Tivoli, the amusement park, and instead headed to Skansen.

Now THAT was a good decision. Skansen is Stockholm's Open Air Museum, filled with about 150 18th and 19th century houses, which have been brought there from all around Sweden.

Wolverine
And instead of being just a dull collection of houses, Skansen is a 'living' museum. With this I mean that people are actually 'working' in the houses. We saw glass blowers, woodcarvers, bookbinders, blacksmiths,... all in costume and using the tools from the era.

Ofcourse we had come at the right time. In the very center of Skansen, there was a Christmas market with stalls selling all kinds of things, most of the edible variety. We had some gluhwein and saffron bread, which was absolutely delicious, and we just walked, occasionally stopping by an open fire to warm up, and then taking off again, down another road to more old buildings.

Skansen also has a little zoo, which was quite entertaining, although the bears and lynxs had buggered off. But we saw wolves, otters, seals, owls and wolverines (which, sorry to disappoint you, ladies, did not look like Hugh Jackman at all).

The Birds!!!

It was very entertaining and time flew by. When it started to get dark, we left Skansen and walked towards the Vasa Museet to find the Estonia monument, erected after the tragic ferry accident of 1994, in which 852 people died.

Looking from the cemetery towards the Nordiska Museet was quite eerie, with the museum's church-like architecture and the dark clouds behind it. And then there were the birds. Hundreds of them, like in the Hitchcock movie. It was very spookie.

Eventually, we walked back along Strandvägen to the Kungsträdgärden subway and headed back to the hotel for some rest.

That night, we had dinner at a pizza place on Götgatan, which I unfortunately do not recall the name of, but which was quite amazing.

One more day to go.