"When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

Rome Travel Blog

Helen and I at the Trevi fountain

As far back as elementary school, I remembered two popular sayings about Italy: "when in Rome, do as the Romans do", and "Give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what belongs to God". Not only is this Roman, but it a popular Christian verse that I debated during my high school years studying divinity as a subject on it's  own. I can still remember as if it were yesterday when my girlfriend Margaret challenged me on the topic of Christian values versus traditions of right and wrong. I was forced to explain my understanding of what I thought was natural and self explanatory: my view and take on it happened to differ greatly with what she had to present in what turned out to be a rather heated discussion. All roads led to Rome and the beginnings of Christianity and why people had to "give unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God, what is Gods". This quote is taken from the books of Mark, Luke and Matthew in the bible and directly quote Jesus' response to teachers of the law who wanted to trap him into saying something that would implicate him against the law. then Caesar was the law and all currencies had the face of Caesar on them. (In case you want a better understanding you can refer to Luke 20:20:26.).

Why Rome? well from whence I was a child and now a grown woman, my dream was always to make a pilgrim to Rome: I thought to myself, like the Muslim makes a pilgrim of faith once in a lifetime to Mecca, i should like to make it to Rome. To claim holiness and renew my faith . . . It was long before I could realize the dream of going to Rome, and it was not to fulfill my childhood dreams. By the time I actually made it there, the whole faithful and holiness thing was long gone and the open mind of 'questions' was much alive. By the time we got to Rome with Peter and Helen, I was too tired to show any excitement for the one place I had looked forward to for a lifetime. Rome is dirty, that was my first impression. Second was that the drivers drove like the drivers we had back home in Kampala, honking every second of the way and driving on shoulders to try and get to their destinations faster. Imagine the shock I had seeing all this.

Peter kept driving as if he had lived in Rome his whole life, nothing of the honking and near bumper brash with other cars seemed to bother him. He had two places in mind to take us to, that was the Colosseum and then to this seafood restaurant that I vaguely remember now, except for how delicious the food tasted.

Africancrab says:
It is, we had fun dropping in money as Helen kept making wish after wish.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2010
delsol67 says:
It's such an amazing fountain!!!
Posted on: Feb 04, 2010