Visiting the Arena di Verona and Castelvecchio fortress

Verona Travel Blog

This is Ponte Scaligero bridge, access to Castelvecchio Castle. The bridge was built many years ago by the Scaligeri family that was wealthy and powerful at the time.

Following the road that will lead to Rome, Peter the driver whisked us away from Lerici where we had spent quite an endearing time drinking wine for breakfast and eating fish at each meal. We headed down then up and down again through the most breath taking views of mountains and winding roads to Verona. Verona I learned much about from studying Literature and the plays of Shakespeare: well known for the set of the famous “Romeo and Juliet” Verona is historical that way. During the Roman empire (this is the historian in me coming out), Verona was one of the most powerful cities and is, in my opinion one of the best well kept Roman cities. Because of it's proximity to Venice and Milan, I found that many people will drive right past it. Peter wanted to do the same, but I insisted on stopping, we had a great big argument later because we could not make it to our next destination. But the fight was well worth it because I had an incredible time in this city. I shall endeavour to scan some of those old photos I took while in Verona.

We found very few people in the city (well tourists). Peter kept telling me the way I did not want to 'waste' time in Verona, let's go to Venice he insisted. I stood my ground and involuntarily Peter came along to see what he later called the most 'beautiful sights' hehad ever seen in Italy. We went to see the mausoleum of Arche Scaligere houses, the tombs and giant iron gates that freaked Helen out. What I really wanted to see in Verona was the arena. The Arena di Verona is the third largest arena in Italy, and you should not pass the chance to stop there is you are sightseeing in Verona. When I write reviews, I normally caution people who are biased to have an open mind because what one person claims to be awful, you may find absolutely stunning. DO TAKE TIME TO VISIT VERONA, you will not regret it. Despite being constructed in 30 AD, much of the original architecture remains, and the amphitheater still houses opera productions throughout the summer, unfortunately we did not have time to watch any of the plays.

Our last stop was the great military fortress of Castelvecchio, which has been turned into an art museum, renowned for providing shelter to many significant works of art in a strictly medieval setting. If you are an art lover, this is certainly a 'candy store' for the art lover.

This is Ponte Scaligero bridge, ac…
This is Ponte Scaligero bridge, a…
photo by: wilber85