Largo di Garda and the Roman Ruins

Lake Garda Travel Blog

Located in northern Italy, Garda travel guide">Lake Garda presents a calm serene environment of mountains and Lake water. Lake Garda is between Venice and Milan and is known to be part of the western Lombardy region with Veneto neighboring on the east. Situated at the foot of the Alps, in a beautiful area of southern Europe. In the summer of 1998 my boyfriend Peter, his daughter Helen and I went on a tour of Western Europe beginning with Germany, Austria and Italy being the third country along the way. Our drive from Salzburg brought us into northern Italy through Innsbruck. The winding mountain roads revealing nature’s beauty at it’s best.

We entered Italy from the north making our first stop in “Largo di Garda” Italian for Lake Garda. Lake Garda I found out then, is one of Italy’s most visited lakes. Quite a big lake running almost seventeen kilometers wide: the road around the lake have a breath taking view of the surrounding villages, castles and the shore line hotels, café’s.

Lake Garda I have found is relatively unknown to Americans travelers, even amongst those familiar with it's Northern neighboring lake Como. The lake’s scenery are post card scenes and the accommodation is affordable and the food is something of soul food nature. There are a lot of Italians, Germans and Swiss families vacationing at Lake Garda. Beginning with the town of Garda, the area transforms from theme park thrills into quiet Mediterranean style villages, Roman ruins, and 15th generation families protecting the warm turquoise lake. I desperately wanted to spend at least a few more day in Lake garda, but my straight forward German boyfriend in his firm, coarse German accent assured me there was more to see a long the way and since time was not on our side, one night in Garda would suffice.

Africancrab says:
Thanks Brian
Posted on: Feb 04, 2010
delsol67 says:
WOW...I agree
Posted on: Feb 04, 2010
Africancrab says:
Yes indeed, I loved it out there and would go again in a heart beat if I had the time and money - but it is in my future travel plans already.
Posted on: Dec 04, 2008