The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore

Florence Travel Blog

Helen and I outsite of the Duomo feeding pigeons

We arrived in Florence in the afternoon a little later than we should have, so we did not take the typical Florence walking tours which are considered as part of a visit to this city. Peter had been here more than once and he assured me there was only one place I wanted to goo before I can start seeing the rest of the city. Helen was pretty tired by now and she did not want to walk: I could only carry her so long before I tire of her weight. Peter took us to a restaurant first to eat and rest from the long journey; after a hearty meal, Helen seemed to be so much revived and ready to play with the pigeons. We started at the Accademia, where the statute of David by Michelangelo has been for over 500 years. Then we proceeded to the famous Duomo, where Helen could not stop feeding the so many pigeons outside the duomo.

This duomo also called the Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore,  was designed by Arnolfo di Cambio, it ranks third largest after St. Peter's basilica in Rome and Saint Paul's cathedral in London. By the time it was completed in the 1400s, it was the largest cathedral in the whole of Europe. Built on the ancient sacred area of the Roman castrum, the Basilica of Santa Reparata, together with a number of other religious buildings, formed the original nucleus of what was to become the religious heart of today's Florence.

David by Michelangelo
There was almost certainly a Baptistery as evidence of the ancient connection with the Cathedral. The Basilica of Santa Reparata was remodeled and enlarged to include the baptistery and was probably entirely rebuilt to become what we can see today. In that same period, the city's walls were enlarged in great proportions. The Palazzo Vecchio was built and so were two monumental churches including the Santa Maria Novella and Santa Croce.

vances says:
Though Arnolfo di Cambio designed the Duomo, the real brilliance was its construction, masterminded by Filippo Brunelleschi - highly recommend reading "Brunelleshi's Dome" by Ross King if contemplating a visit. This was the highlight of Italy for me, nice recap!
Posted on: Jan 26, 2013
Africancrab says:
It is a beautiful place indeed
Posted on: Jan 24, 2010
dolcetlb says:
I so love Florence! I too hope to go back one day.
Posted on: Jan 24, 2010
Helen and I outsite of the Duomo f…
Helen and I outsite of the Duomo …
Inside art on the walls/ ceiling
Inside art on the walls/ ceiling
Florence Sights & Attractions review
Sacred and Religious Place of the Earth: World Heritage Site
I have since read in more detail about the cathedral of St Mary of the flower in Florence. When I visited Italy in 1998, Florence was one of our stop… read entire review
Florence