Housesitting at the harbor

Seattle Travel Blog

Sunset

Yet another research meeting, this time in Seattle.  My first evening in Seattle, I walked down to the harbor with a coworker and took a round-trip ferry out to Bainbridge Island at sunset.  After the meeting ended, I navigated the bus system out to Ballard and found the home of Cheryl who was out of town when I arrived.  Luckily she had a guesthouse in the back which she kept unlocked, so I dropped off my things as she had instructed then took a bus back downtown.  My first stop was Pike Place Market where I watched the fish toss and bought some unusual pastas and jellies.  After window shopping, I took the bus over to a local place that boasted the best peanut butter and bacon burger in town, which wasn't that bad.

Donwtown Seattle
  Then it was off to the Space Needle which was even more touristy than I expected, completely overrated and overpriced.  Feeling broke, I took a bus to Lake Union looking for kayaking, but couldn't find anywhere renting kayaks.  I was exhausted, so I headed back to Ballard for dinner at a Puerto Rican place near Cheryl's house.  Once back at Cheryl's she arrived home from work and we talked while watching the Olympics on tv.

In the morning, I borrowed Cheryl's bike and rode all over Ballard.  I stopped by one of the best bakeries I've ever been to, luckily not even a block from Cheryl's house.  Upon Cheryl's recommendation, I rode up to Golden Gardens and Chittenden locks to see the fish ladder.  The fish ladder was built to help salmon swimming upstream avoid the locks and allows you to watch them jump all the way up.

The beach
  I rode the bike up the sound and relaxed on some of the beaches until it began pouring.  Expected, I suppose, given I was in Seattle.  I rode back to downtown Ballard and hung out by myself at Cheryl's watching Michael Phelps the rest of the evening.

In the morning, I checked out the farmer's market which was the best farmer's market I'd ever visited.  I bought some unusual vegetables that I'd never seen before including garlic flowers and dragon's tongues.  I bought some basil ice cream and I also bought some of the best salmon I'd ever tasted, too bad I forgot it in Cheryl's freezer!  Back at Cheryl's I watched the Olympics for an hour while enjoying my ice cream before catching the bus to the airport.

Downtown