Picton Travel Blog

Tuesday, 30 December 2008

5:50 p.m.

We arrived in Picton for the day.

Kaikoura Seal Colony

30/12/2008, 5:51 p.m.

We went to Kaikoura Seal Colony and saw one seal, however on the way to Blenheim we actually saw many seals at a stop.

It was hard to see any seals but once I saw them it was a bit of surprise because I thought they were all on some distant island so I got my glasses out to see them, but in fact they were just lying nearby on the rocks sleeping.

MacDonalds

30/12/2008, 5:58 p.m.

We all had MacDonalds in Blenheim, I ordered two happy meals for my Sister Bonnie and Tongtong, then I ordered MacChicken for Andy and MacFeast for the rest of us.

The MacDonalds was fulfilling however we are planning for wide noodles for dinner at the motel (扯面)

Wine Tour

30/12/2008, 5:52 p.m.

We went to a wine place and bought some wine, I chose the most popular wine and tasted it, the lady there was pretty polite and showed us the place.

I learnt that wine bottles are labelled by the name of the grape and they are labelled by the Marlborough label for prestige, the wines there are exported to more than twenty countries, of which includes China. My Dad asked for the contact details of their Chinese agents in Beijing and Shanghai.

The winery place had a big mixer which produces wine after squashing all the grapes. The juice are then fermented. The wine are probably bottled at another location.

Motel

30/12/2008, 5:57 p.m.

Arriving at the AAA Marlin Motel gave us a sense of home because we all remembered our first night in South Island after taking the Interislander cruise.

Shelly Beach

30/12/2008, 8:11 p.m.

We arrived at Picton's Shelly Beach, its only beach for some fun, we all walked down, many of us took off our shoes to enjoy a bit of beach walk.

On the way we actually saw people fishing, they willingly let go of small fishes they caught because they were undersized. My Mum Daisy started to pick mussels off the beach bed, but they were too small and we all objected her doing so. She let them go afterwards.

However after going home I realised Mum cooked a dish of mussels, it is then I realised that she did not let all of the mussels go and kept some for cooking. I did not eat any of the mussels because I thought it was not a good thing to do in the first place.

photo by: glennisnz