Oamaru trip

Oamaru Travel Blog

Thursday, 25 December 2008

10:38 p.m.

Moeraki Boulders

On the way to Oamaru, we looked at the Moeraki Boulders which are really round like a sphere and are all stuck on the sand. They really look like they belong to an extraterrestrial world that is alien from our Planet Earth.

26/12/2008, 7:27 a.m.

We went to the South Island's most southward point called Stirling Point, it looked similar to the North Island's Cape Reinga. The Ocean goes out into the distance and meets the sky.

University of Otago

26/12/2008, 7:24 a.m.

We made a mini tour of the University of Otago, the campus buildings are really special in their design and looked really nice. We took many pictures of the university.

Blue Penguins

We also went to the Blue Penguins colony and watched hundreds of little Blue Penguins come ashore at night to their land nests after a day of fishing.

They travel in groups of about ten and move ashore, at the time when we wanted leaving we   saw some of these penguins on the road and had to give way to them for them to travel safely home from the ocean.

The nests were built for them, the burrows are just the right size to keep them in and help keep other land animals out to protect the breeding eggs.

At first it was hard to see them travelling in a group called "flock" towards thee shore, but then with the help from my Dad's direction and the penguins coming onshore and me starting to wear my glasses I saw them waddling across to there manmade nests. It was very interesting to see that.

Yellow-eyed Penguins

We also went to the Yellow-eyed penguin colony and only saw two penguins there, these penguins are different compared to the Blue Penguins, they are larger and have yellow eyes.

photo by: merietje007