Hanmer Springs Travel Blog

Sunday, 28 December 2008

3:17 p.m.

Today we arrived at Hanmer Springs really quick, because it was only an hour and half drive from Christchurch. Hanmer Springs is a lovely tourism location, its main attraction is its spring pools.

Hanmer Horses

28/12/2008, 3:18 p.m.

We went to Hanmer Horses after crossing two small rivers and a bridge, Andy, Dad, Bonnie and I went on the one hour ride up the hill and down. It was a new experience riding horses as I have never done it before. We all learnt the basics being that to go left you must pull the horse and turn the horse's nose towards the left while turning right you pull the nose towards the right.

When one wants to stop the horse from moving you will have to pull the nose upwards.

My horse was named Katie, she was a bit hungry I think because all the way whenever there was any chances she would start eating grasses.

The horse trotting was the scariest because when trotting I felt like I was going to fall off the horse, but in fact if I adjust my rhyme with the jumping rhyme of the horse there was no big deal.

At the end Bonnie's horse kicked Andy's horse accidentally and caused the horse to start running but Andy was able to handle the emergency by holding the horse seat with one hand while holding the nose rope on the other.

29/12/2008, 9:35 a.m.

Whenever my horse Katie starts eating grass, I would have to lean forward as the nose rope of the horse is so short, it felt like I was going to fall off the horse or something, because I had to pull the rope to ensure that it does not fall off.

Information Centre

28/12/2008, 3:23 p.m.

I went to the Information Centre and found out some activities like archery, walking near the river and other activities that were not taken further due to its lack of popularity among the group members of our travelling group.

Walk after dinner

28/12/2008, 4:52 p.m.

We are planning for a walk around the township after dinner, we will follow the river tracks and enjoy the nice environment that Hanmer Springs present to us.

We went to the nearby water stream and there was a bit of forest walk, after that we went on the road and headed back for the motel we stayed at. It took sometime for the whole trip. I think we all enjoyed it after eating so much food, because it kind of eased the tension on our tummies.

The walk brought us through the forest and the city centre so it kind of gave us the night life view of the township.

28/12/2008, 10:02 p.m.

Tomorrow's plan is to have a long time soaked inside the hot pools of Hanmer Springs, if however Andy decides to take on the 4wd off-road vehicles then I'll join him in the fun. That would be an expensive activity but nevertheless satisfying. I personally believe the Hanmer Springs is most attractive for its hot pools.

The children had some fun jumping on my bed as if it was some kind of jumpoline. I didn't ask them to stop because they were having such a great time.

Tongtong is learning many new things each day playing around with my Sister Bonnie. Tongtong is speaking more and understands more, we all got to know her more and she knows us better than at the beginning of the trip.

photo by: Besandri