A Southern Belle

Puerto Iguazu Travel Blog

La Garganta Del Diablo

Well, maybe not a Southern Belle most Americans (excuse me, Estados Unidensos) might think of, but certainly worth a look. Iguazú Falls is a popular destination for people traveling Argentina, Brazil, and Paraguay. The site of the Falls is situated right along the boarder between Brazil and Argentina. My cousin Glennie and I desperately wanted to see this site, so we booked an early 6 a.m. flight out of Buenos Aires to get there. In our infinite wisdom, we partied very hard the night before, and though I woke us up and got us to the airport on time, we were worse for the wear. The staff will never forget my cousin. Needless to say, 4 star hotels aren't used to catering to young drinkers.

The River and Brazil Across the Way

The short flight took us to the north east part of the country, and one glance out the window told me I wasn't in the Urban BA anymore. A gray mist encroached on the green trees, that looked to me like giant stalks of broccoli. It seemed exotic and alluring. I had no idea what awaited me under that jungle canopy, but something told me not to let my imagination run wild. Grab your muskets men, we're off to find Livingston!

Once we landed, Glennie and I arranged a remise (or meter-less taxi) to take us to our hotel. The hotel was great, certainly 4 star, and as one who travels via hostels a lot, it was interesting to be so pampered. (Not that I had a cigar and a back massage, though that would have been good too.) Once checked in and settled, we headed off to the park, only to find that it was yet another car ride away.
Some Local Birdlife
There is a bus service that runs between the hotel, the hostel, and the park, but we had limited time and no desire to wait.

The park was fantastic. The car driver introduced us to a tour guide company. Everyone does favors for everyone else it seems. Sometimes it felt like browsing through a store with an annoying customer representative trying to direct my attention elsewhere. Screw off! But we did get some good information. Two days of walking around this park, and we almost got to see everything there was to offer. Minus the fact that neither one of us had Brazilian Visas and couldn't see the other side of the falls, Iguazú was still an impressive vision.

The first stop was the main fall, La Garganta del Diablo (The Devil's Throat). Countless gallons of water cascade 75 yards or so into the river below, and the mist rises to moisten any who come to marvel at its magnificence.
Attack of the Coatis
From across the way I can see a Brazilian hotel, what a location! There is an Argentine hotel in the park as well, but one must weigh cost vs convenience when choosing to go here. We return back to the main hub of the park and venture off to the upper and lower catwalk trails. These take us to see some of the lesser falls, but none the less impressive. These falls are a panorama of amazing scenery. And all along the trail, the coatis follow. These South American raccoons populate the entire park looking for food. They have hands much like raccoons, and beg like them too. Whether they're climbing trees, trash cans, or tourists, food is always on their minds.

The following day, Glennie and I try our hand at heading down the Macucao trail. A brisk pace and a little trail blazing takes us pretty close to the river's edge, and Brazil looms a mere swim away.; however, I'm not one to go jumping in brown water, and the river at Iguazú fits that description pretty accurately. It gets its color from the iron and soil in the jungle, but a yellow fever shot may not cover what I'd find in that water. Our walk back was strenuous, but rewarding as we trekked back up hill to the main trail.

All in all, Iguazú is a great place to visit. It mainly caters to tourists, so once you've seen it, you've seen it. 2 days may be all you need at this jungle oasis. I didn't get to see the Brazilian side, but it's not something I'm tormented about. There is a town not too far off if you're looking for a meal outside the hotel, but a few places can get a bit dodgy at night. A must see for anyone's itinerary and one of my favorite natural wonders.