Another Close Call

Hong Kong Travel Blog

last breakfast

My plan was to wake up very early to check out Victoria Park nearby. My flight back to the Philippines was at 9.45AM, so I figured I'd do 2 hours of sightseeing first before heading to the airport.

However, I did not manage to wake up until around 6AM, so my walk in the park had to be scrapped. So, after a quick shower, I went to Paterson Building to check out, then had my last meal in HK at McDonald's (duh). It was already 7.30 by the time I finished breakfast, so I headed to the MTR station straight after. My final stop before going to the airport was going to be the (inhale) Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Center (exhale).

I got off at Wan Chai Station and walked my way towards the harbor (about 15 minutes away). When I got there, I didn't waste any time taking pictures of the place.
last look at Paterson Street
Too bad it was still too early, so I wasn't able to go inside the convention center. However, from that area, I had a very nice view of HK's skyline once again. The other night, I thought of going to Kowloon again to see the skyline during daylight, but since there wasn't much time left, the view I had there sufficed.

Time flew very quickly, and next thing I knew, it was already 8.45AM! So, slightly panicking, I fought my way back towards the MTR station against the whole force of HK's working people coming towards me. It was crazy! I got bumped so many times that I lost count. Good thing I had my backpack with me, so I bumped them back. Bwahahaha. Kidding. Anyway, once I got inside the terminal, I bought a ticket to Central, and from there, I had to buy another ticket for the connecting train to the airport - the airport express.
HK Convention Centre
It was already past 9, so I was really starting to worry. It took me ages to reach the platform for the train, and the damn ticket machine wasn't working! I ended up buying it from the customer service desk, and was suprised that it cost HKD100 (expensive).

Anyway, I was glad to make it to the train just in time, because it leaves every 30 effin minutes, so imagine if I missed it then. A few minutes passed waiting for more passengers, and we're on our way. Only then did I realize my error - looking at the map of HK, the airport express line only stops at a couple of stations, so I thought I'd get to the airport in no time. To my utter disappointment, the actual distance was very far. Seriously, I was saying 'I'm dead' to myself over and over. There was just no way I could reach the airport in time.
Central Plaza
Negativity creeped in, and by the time we reached the airport, 15 effin minutes before my plane's ETD, I was already resigned to the idea that I might need to buy another ticket back to Clark. Added to my worry was the fact that there were 2 sections for departing passengers, and I didn't know which side I needed to go to. A quick question to an airport personnel led me to the right direction, though.

So, I ran to the check-in counter with fingers crossed. When the personnel checked my flight itinerary, she said that the flight back to Clark has been closed (I almost died, even though I was half-expecting it). But, she made some calls on her walkie-talkie, and a few seconds later, a man appeared out of nowhere and asked me to follow him (okay, sir). Him and I walked-ran towards immigration and customs, which basically meant I could still make it to my flight! Yaaay! I felt so relieved that I almost kissed the guy, which I'm sure he'd like very much.
lovely, just lovely
However, I didn't, because I didn't want him to think I'm that easy.

So, after passing through the usual b.s., I was taken to an elevator that would lead me to a train that would take me to the departure area for my flight, and I was handed over to another personnel (a lady, this time). Jeez, that airport was effin huuuge, man! While on the way, the lady asked me why I was late and if I've never been to Chek Lap Kok Airport. I explained everything to her, including how I got to HK from Macau, which explained why it was my first time at that airport. She seemed convinced enough (and hopefully concluded that I'm not a dumbass, although I really am). While I was running on the walkalator towards my departure gate, I came across a Cebu Pacific personnel who was making a last-call round for remaining passengers not yet seated inside the plane.
while on the train
At the same time, I realized that I wasn't the only one they're waiting for. Bwahahaha!

I got myself seated inside the plane 5 minutes before the supposed time of departure, but there was still a clan of passengers with some members missing. So, the communication between the airline peeps and the airport peeps continued for another 15 minutes. Then, at long last, they're complete *collective sigh of relief*. Jeez, this sort of thing could only happen in a Philippine airline company, seriously. But I ain't complaining, because I made my flight due to that. See, not being on time has its advantages, especially for me, which is always the important thing. Oh yes.

Okay, time to head back home, guys!

rintjez says:
aawww..excuses excuses! LoL!
Posted on: Jan 28, 2009
JeAr says:
hahaha! i didn't chicken out, Rini! there was just too many people! :P
Posted on: Jan 28, 2009
rintjez says:
JeAR! I couldn't believe you were chickened out! That's not sooo yoouu!!! Haha!

"a few seconds later, a man appeared out of nowhere and asked me to follow him (okay, sir). Him and I walked-ran towards immigration and customs, which basically meant I could still make it to my flight! Yaaay! I felt so relieved that I almost kissed the guy, which I'm sure he'd like very much. However, I didn't, because I didn't want him to think I'm that easy"
Posted on: Jan 27, 2009