Bad start...

Braunschweig Travel Blog

We booked our return tickets with Eurolines on 72€ return from Braunschweig in Germany to Krakow in Poland. Although the journey would last 13 hours ONE WAY! the price tempted us in to it.

However, living in Lauterbach (Hessen), meant that first I had to catch a regional train (RB) to Fulda and then an Intercity Express (ICE) to Braunschweig before my journey even began! 3 hours later though, I arrived in Braunschweig, where I was meeting a good friend of mine, also living in Germany on his year abraod, Gaz. Gaz had to travel from Magdeburg to Braunschweig (which was ironic, since he was heading in the opposite direction to Poland!)

We decided to arrive in Braunschweig early so we could grab something to eat and a few supplies before heading off on our bus journey. Nordsee was the order of the day (a must have in Germany if you're British and love fish and chips!) Once we'd had tea (that's the meal, not the drink!) we headed off for the bus station, opposite the main train station in Braunschweig. We were on line T572 and due to leave at 21:00. An hour later we were starting to get a little worried that we had somehow missed our bus. Other buses had been and gone but we didn't think ours had arrived. We decided asking the woman behind the desk would be a good idea.

Since we both speak German and we were in Germany, we felt we should ask the woman in German out of courtesy (and, we thought, it would probably be easier for her to help us). We asked her if the bus was late or if we had missed it and what she said back I can honestly say I've never been so shocked. She asked us how she should know if the bus was late. She wasn't a "Bus Seeker". We hadn't bought tickets from her so why the hell should she help us? Especially when we were speaking German and she was Polish - why should she translate for us? It was fair to say I was fuming, for starters we had bought the tickets off the company she was working for! Secondly, we were speaking in a mutual language (since we assumed her terrible german was better than her english).

Fortunately, our first impression of the polish people was not all bad because a young, polish girl studying a PHd in Germany approached us and assured us the bus was late and that it had been on the other occasions that she had made the journey home.

Finally, at 22.30 (yes, an hour and a half late!) the bus arrived and we boarded. The space was limited and to our horror EVERYTHING was in Polish - a language that neither of us could speak. This was going to be a very, long journey...
photo by: denisx