St Kilda, and some heavy duty strolling through the CBD

Melbourne Travel Blog

This morning feeling slightly under the weather thanks to a few too many "Tiger" beers last night, I had a late start to the day. I got home at 2am and my roommates were sleeping and when I left this morning at 11am, they were still sleeping. I have yet to actually see my roommates not in bed since I got here and I'm starting to wonder how someone can sleep so much.

I hopped on the tram down to St. Kilda to check out that area. From what I had read, the area is supposed to be a bit hippy-ish with lots of cafes, bars and cool shops. I got off the tram at the "St Kilda" stop thinking that must be the right stop. So I'm walking down this street and there were a few restaurants but nothing too exciting. I was starting to think the area was overrated but I kept walking so I could find the beach.

Inside the market
En route, I came across the street I had been looking for but was about a 15 minute walk away from the St. Kilda station.

Acland Street is full of little restaurants, shops and omg soooo many pastry and "any kind of dessert you could wish for" shops. I walked by about 5 or 6 of them until I finally doubled back and went into one of them and got a mini hazelnut cake. It reminded me of Europe, buying desserts and then eating them in the park. This time, I took my mini cake down to the beach to see how it compares to the beaches in Sydney.

The picture should give you an idea as to the comparison between the St. Kilda beach and Bondi or Coogee beach. To be fair though, today it was overcast and about 20 degrees and a little misty around lunch time, so not really good beach weather.

one of the many food choices
I met a girl on the tram going back to the city who was told to watch out for used needles in the sand if she was going down to the beach. I didn't see anything like that myself, but be forewarned haha

After finishing off my little cake, I saw a bunch of people walking towards a pier, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and see what was there. Apparently, according to a sign, at the breakwater penguins come in at night to sleep so if you're there in the evening you may see some little pengiuns. Since I was there at midday, there were no penguins in sight. It sounds like a good reason to go back ...

The view of the city was quite nice, with the fishing boats in the foreground.

After my trip to the St kilda pier, I hopped back on the tram and went to the CBD to do some Christmas shopping for myself.

St Kilda beach
There are lots of the same shops as in Perth but I find the shops here seem to have a bit more of a selection. I basically just wandered through Collins and Bourke Streets, trying to make my way into the stores through the big crowds. Luckily the Boxing Day sales are still on. The girl I had met on the tram was a interior designer from San Fransisco. She told me to head in the Fitzroy area to do some shopping as well. I made my way over to Brunswick Street which is filled with lots of different shops from shops selling $400 jeans to second hand stores. Anyone interested in wearing clothes that no one else has should head over to that area. I'm not much of a clothes shopper but I had a good time checking out the different shops.
My dessert

I had read somewhere about a market on Queen Street that happens every Wednesday from 6pm to 10pm. I was expecting a street or two lined with stalls. What I came across was a huge exhibition hall type place with food shops lining one wall, and tons of mini shops throughout the arena. In between all the shops were what must have been thousands of people. You could pretty much get food from any ethnic group you could think of. After buying the cutest silky summer dress, I decided on an "Aussie Style" crepe. No mom, they didn't come close to the breakfast crepes we had in Paris :) It was still pretty good though. I ate it outside listening to a band in the outdoor section of the market. Oh and I almost forgot. It was the first market I went to that was licensed and served beer and wine.

Walking home, I found a more scenic route than I took yesterday morning. Along the southern side of the river, there's lots of shops and an awesome view of the sunsetting in the distance (if you happen to be there around 8:30pm). Much nicer than the north side of the river, which is full of dark, creepy parking lots!

Tonight's going to be an early night. I have a car rental for tomorrow for a full day on the Great Ocean Road, a beach front hotel booked in Peterborough and then the drive back on Friday! whoo hoo!

My dessert
The front of one of the many desse…
The front of one of the many dess…
Melbourne