Our Full Day Out at Sea

Airlie Beach Travel Blog

This morning I woke up at 6:30am due to all the other people waking up. Since it's all open, the kitchen table was about 10 feet from my head so all the jingling of flatware is bound to wake up the heaviest sleeper. We had breakfast and sat out on the deck in the sun. Not a bad way to wake up in the morning, and I didn't even mind the early morning since it means more time in the sun.

Our first stop was WhiteHaven Beach. It's supposed to be one of the top 10 beaches in the world and now I know why. Our boat crew took us to shore in a little motor boat and then it was a 500m walk to a look out point. The view was absolutely amazing and if you google "whitehaven beach" it'll be the pictures you see.

We then walked down to the beach, put on our stinger suits and went into the water.

There were sting rays about two feet long swimming along. I had my underwater camera with me and I tried to sneak up on them, but they would scurry away, really really quickly. It's probably better that I didn't get a picture than to get attacked by a vicious stingray!

One of the girls I met (a fellow valuator with a big four firm from Germany) had a santa hat so we took some fun pictures wearing it in the water and on the sand. At the suggestion of our boat captain, we made a snowman out of sand and then put the santa hat, my sunglasses and my bathing suit top on it. It made from quite the funny picture.

We found a smaller, secluded beach and laid in the water (without the stinger suit. Yes, I know I'm a badass), enjoying the water and the sun.

It was absolutely fantastically awesome. One of the reasons the beach is one of the nicest in the world (besides the amazing view, no people living on the island so no development, just secluded awesomeness), is the sand is super, super fine. It felt like walking on a beach of flour, minus the nastiness that flour turns into when added to water.

On the mini boat ride back to the big boat, we saw a giant turtle coming up for air and swmiming along the top of the water. It was pretty big, probably about 2 1/2 feet long and the first turtle I've seen since visiting Queensland.

After three hours on the nicest beach ever, we sailed over to a reef for some snorkelling. There were lots of the same fish as I saw in the reef off Cairns, just a smaller reef.

Then we sailed to reef number two for some more snorkelling. After a short time in the water, I was getting pretty snorkelled out. From the boat we saw what the captain said were big tunas looking for food and you could see the smaller fish literally jumping out of the water, trying to get away from them.

After a busy day of beach, snorkellng, swimming and more water, we had docked our boat next to the other boat and had dinner and drinks. The boat crew donated some nasty tasting cheap wine and one of the girls chopped up a bunch of fruit to make a fruit punch. At midnight we yelled out Merry Christmas and two german girls started singing what I think was "Oh Christmas Tree" in German. I laid out on the deck attempting to sleep outside for the night. I would start to sleep but then I'd worry I was going to roll off the boat during the night so I packed up and went back down inside the boat.

We have quite a mix of people on board. Our our boat we had people from Scotland, Britain, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan, China, Brazil and me, the sole Canadian. The crew just called me Canada for the trip to make things easier. Everyone speaks English but with all the varied backgrounds, it makes for some interesting conversations! I think it should be a good mix of people for the trip! (I'm just glad it's not 12 couples and me!!)

sshaunaa says:
I didn't think my mom would want me showing it on the internet haha
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009
Horus380 says:
i would love to see the snow man photo
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009