Happy New Years Eve from Byron Bay!

Byron Bay Travel Blog

On the way to dive site number 1

This morning came way too quickly as we sandered down to Byron Bay Dive Centre for 6:45am. We got our gear and headed down to the beach in a sketchy truck. The truck stalled at one point going up a hill and the driver (kind of joking, kind of not) suggested the guys get ready to go push the truck up the hill.

We got into the boat and five minutes later we were at Julian Rocks. We entered the water navy seal style, with a backwards roll into the water. The visibility wasn't very good and was nothing like the GBR. The fish were quite different though. We saw several sting rays, some spotted sharks, lots of jellyfish and lots of other tropical fish. Overall the dive was ok. We were planning to get breakfast after the dive but we were both tired so back to bed for a nap we went.

Swimming in the afternoon

We met up for lunch with Mike and found a place that served breakfast until 3pm. For some reason I had the biggest craving for french toast and this place had banana and coconut french toast with maple syrup. OMG soo tasty!

We had our second dive at 2:30 so we spent a couple hours shopping and playing in the waves at the beach. There's a shop in town that sells t-shirts with funny pictures and sayings on them. I bought a sweet red shirt with a picture of David Hasselhoff wearing a speedo and the words "Dreamboat" underneath it. Best $25 I've ever spent!

Our second dive was with a company called Sundive. After getting a ride to the beach in a slightly less sketchy truck than in the morning, we were out next to the boat waiting to get on.

After our turtle spotting dive
The waves are quite high so we were all holding onto the boat to keep it lined up straight to go through the waves. It was my turn to jump up and I dropped my camera in the water. It was under Anton's foot but the boat was wanting to move in his direction so he had to move off of it and my camera disappeared under the boat. I started panicking since I couldn't find it. The boat was drifting away but luckily I had my mask and snorkel so I started frantically looking for it, meanwhile the boat people wanted to leave. Once I noticed we had drifted quite a bit, I tried my best to see where we were a few minutes prior. I was snorkelling around and omg I found just a couple inched of the string sticking out of the water. Crisis averted ... and my camera still works! Phew!

I had wanted to see a turtle so bad since the beginning of the trip and I hadn't seen one.

My drinking buddies
This dive was going to be starting in the same place we went in the morning but we were going to be swimming to another point where the boat guy was going to pick us up. Low and behold, five minutes into the dive and we saw a turtle. I was giddy like a 7 year old. I was so happy but was trying not to use up all my air haha

We saw the same kind of fish we saw in the morning but this time I finally saw a Dory fish from Finding Nemo, a fish I hadn't seen on the GBR. So that was cool as well.

Our group was meeting up for some pre-drinking before going to the bar we had tickets to .. the Cheeky Monkey. After a few drinks we headed over for 8pm. I wasn't sure what to make of the place but after an hour or so we knew it was going to be a good time.

Me and Kati on the rollercoaster
They had a few contests for free drinks including pairing up a guy and a girl, where the two had to exchange clothes except bra and underwear, on stage in front of everyone in the bar. Another game had the guys take their shirts off, get covered in whipped cream and the girls have to be the first to lick it all off their partner. One of the girls in our group did it and it was absolutely hilarious.

The bar's "dance floor" are the tables so we spent most of the night drinking and being merry on the table tops. It made for quite the countdown to new years.

At about 1, a few of us ventured down to the beach which was packed. After spending some time on the beach, we found a mini rollercoaster and of course had to go for a ride. I took a video of us on it ... sooo funny.

We had to be ready to board the bus at 7:45am the next morning which I was not looking forward to at all. I think we managed to get a solid 4 hours of sleep!

Horus380 says:
sounds like a great way to bring in the new year
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009
French toast mmmmm
French toast mmmmm
Toast soldiers .. apparenlty a UK …
Toast soldiers .. apparenlty a UK…
On the way to dive site number 1
Giving the Im ok sign pre dive …
Giving the "I'm ok" sign pre dive…
Pre turtle spotting dive