Gorges, a rock window and a beach made of shells

Monkey Mia Travel Blog

This morning we left the hostel around 8am and headed inland to the Kalbarri National Park. There are two main sites to see here, one being the Z Bend Gorge and the other being the Loop trail which includes Nature's Window.

We first headed down the 2.4 km return trail to the bottom of Z Bend Gorge. The hike down wasn't too difficult but did involve climbing over rocks and a couple ladders. At the base of the gorge there was a place to swim but the water level was only waist deep at the deepest point. The water also looked green and not very inviting. After a quick dip, I laid in the sun on the rocks, while Max, a guy on the tour from the Netherlands took my camera and played around with it for a bit and took some pictures for me. He knows a bit about camera (which is more than I can say) and he's been teaching me how to use some of the functions.

After the climb up to the top, we drove over to the Loop trail. Since the trail is 8km, we only walked to Nature's Window and took a bunch of pictures. A few people saw a kangaroo but besides that it was all Nature's Window and river in the gorge below. Very spectacular scenery.

Our tour guide was cooking up hanbugers while we were sightseeing. When we got back, they  were waiting for us and were sooooo good. It was then time to go back on the bus. The next stop was for food and petrol in a town called Billabong. I use the term town lightly as it consisted of  petrol station, a hotel and a restaurant.

We then drove to Shell Beach which is literally a beach made of shells. It was pretty cool and was nice to be at a beach and not leave covered in sand!

We're now at our accommodation in Monkey Mia. The "town" is literally just a caravan park. Half the group is currently making us dinner. mmmmmmmm :)

Monkey Mia