Flight to Cairns with a teeny tiny stopover in Ayers Rock

Uluru - Kata Tjuta Travel Blog

Ayers rock from the air

All packed and ready to go with my little 40L backpack, I boarded the plane to Cairns with a stopover in Ayers Rock. A direct flight would have been nice but I figured I might be able to see the famous rock since the surrounding area is supposed to be really flat with this huge, red rock in the middle.

Fortunately, we did end up seeing the rock. Well at least the people on the left hand side of the plane had a chance to see it. I gave my camera to a guy on across the aisle from me and he took some pics.

We got off the plane and stepped down the stairs to the tarmack. It must have been close to 40 degrees outside. Although we were taking the same plane to Cairns, we had to deboard the plane. The airport is the tiniest airport I've ever seen. So small, I had to take a picture of it. After going through security and getting my bag bombed tested again (I was lucky to be randomly selected for bomb testing in Perth as well), we boarded the plane to Cairns. This time I did get a better look at the rock. Now that I've seen it, I no longer have to make an extended stopover just to see it again.

sshaunaa says:
hahaha that's awesome!
Posted on: Jan 21, 2009
Horus380 says:
if you think that one is small (i have been there myself), wait until you see Denham Airport (Shark Bay western Australia) it is literally a tin shed with an honor box for collecting landing fees.
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009