First night in Byron Bay

Byron Bay Travel Blog

We arrived in Byron Bay in the late afternoon. Our first stop was at the lighthouse up on the top of a hill. The view was amazing. We could see turtles and dolphins swimming in the water below.

A few of us decided to blow off the group dinner to walk down to the end of the beach to watch the sunset. We had a few hours in the afternoon to do anything we wanted while a bunch of others went for a skydive. As we were walking down to the beach, the clouds started getting darker and darker. As we laid our stuff out and headed to the water, big rain drops started falling. In about 5 minutes it went from big rain drops to torrential downpour with hail. We decided to stay in the water since we were only going to get wet out of it, but the lifeguard called us all out of the water (due most likely to the lightning not too far away). After waiting out the storm under an overhang, the sun came out and the rest of the evening the sky was blue with no clouds in the sky.

Me, Mike and Anton walked down to the far part of the beach and found a staircase leading to a lookout on top of some rocks. The sunset was another beaut!

We met up with Dion and Angie (our new tour addition from Auckland, NZ) for some drinks and Indian food. It was my first time having a proper Indian food meal. I went with the least spicy thing on the menu and had lots of garlic naan (or as I promounce it, Nan).

The rest of the evening was pretty low key as me and Anton had to be at dive shop at 6:45am the next day.

The town itself is supposed to have quite a hippy feel. I didn't notice it during the day so much since there are lots of namebrand stores (quicksilver, rip curl, etc). However, the only chain restaurant allowed in the town is Subway. There are lots of independant run clothing and gift shops as well and a far share of camper vans. At night the "hippy" feel came out as there were street musicans and a group sing along in a park near where we were staying.

The general consenus of the group is that the group would love to spend lots more time here than the two nights on the intinerary.

Byron Bay