First Day of the Tour

Kalbarri Travel Blog

Our 21 passenger bus left the Perth train station around 7:30am. After leaving Perth, our first stop was at a gas station about 2 hours outside of the city. Nothing too special about the stopover except that there were emus next to the station that I went and looked at.

Our first offical sight seeing stop was at the Pinnacles. They're a bunch of rocks in the middle of nowhere and alot of them look like male genitalia. So of course I took a bunch of pictures of the penis rocks.

For lunch we stopped at Jurian Bay which has a small park next to the beach. Lunch today was 'make your own sandwich day' and included everything you could want on a sandwich including beetroot. After a short janut to the beach, we were off to our next destination.

After lunch was more driving and more driving until we reached Geraldton to go sand boarding. There are a bunch of sand dunes overlooking the town. They seem to be quite the attraction for locals and tourists alike. We showed up with our "sand board" which looked like really cheap, wooden snow boards. There were guys there on dirt bikes and 4 wheeler buggies that looked like they were having a alot of fun. Sandboarding was pretty fun too although we didn't go very fast until one of the guys waxed up the boards. Some people were going down the hill standing up. I went down on my bum knowing I would probably fall off and break an arm or something if I tried it standing up. The sand didn't look as forgiving as snow!

After some more driving, we arrived at our destination for the night, Kalberri. I finally had mobile reception for the first time since leaving Perth. YAY civilaisation!  Our accommodation was dorm beds with 9 beds in each dorm. Luckily there were only 5 of us in the room and we had an en suite shower and toilet. Most of the girls went to bed early, which was great for me, since I'd felt crappy all day. I'm quite sure the flu shot I had on Thursday gave me a version of the flu. Bad timing for the flu shot but hopefully the crappiness will go away soon!

Day one consisted of a lot of driving but it seemed to go by pretty quickly. Our group is made up of two aussies, two from Britain, one from the Netherlands, 5 from Japan, two from Switzerland and two from France. Once again, I'm the lone Canadian on the tour.

Pics will be posted when I have access to a computer that isn't as shitty as the one I"m currently using (the keys are missing their letters and it's slooooooow)
photo by: cimtech