Drive from Perth to the small guesthouse in the woods

Yallingup Travel Blog

After a couple weeks waiting for the weekend to come, it was finally time for our weekend away to Margaret River in celebration of me turning from a "lady" in her mid twenties, to a "lady" in her mid to late twenties ... also known as "almost an old woman living in a house full of cats".

Deciding that Dave's Mitibishsi Lancer was probably going to be a tad bit more reliable than my '99 Suzuki Baleno, we loaded up his car and started the 3ish hour drive south. Unfortunately, the weather was not going to be very cooperative , with the weather forecast calling for rain, rain and more rain (with the chance of sunny periods), but that's what you expect when vacationing in southwestern Australia in July.
This guy was as big as me!

Once we arrived in the Margaret River area, the countryside turns into trees, trees and more trees, a nice change from the city. Once we were off the main highway, I was on "Kangaroo spotting patrol". Along the road to our accommodation (or maybe the road before) we came across a field absolutely full of kangaroos. Seeing a partly standing fence, I snuck through it and onto the field with the 'roos. Being wild and not tame like the kangaroos in the wildlife park, they tend to hop away when you get close. Thanks to my SLR lens, I still managed to get a few good pics before I scared most of them away. Watching them hop is quite entertaining, so I didn't mind so much as they all scurried away.

Driving to our home for the next couple nights, I was starting to think that I was going to someday be one of the main characters in a made for TV horror film.
view from the kitchen area
We were driving along a country road and then onto another road with a "no through road" sign on it. When we then turned onto a long, bumpy dirt driveway (it was dark at this point), I thought for sure Dave was driving me out there to chop me into pieces and bury me in a place where I'd never be found! Once we came into site of the house, with the adjoining guesthouse, I changed my mind from "for sure" to "only partially thinking" I was going to be murdered in the woods outside of Yallingup! :)

As soon as we arrived, the owners came over to chat and welcome us to the house. They're an older couple, originally from South Africa and loved to talk! The guesthouse was very modest but homey. It had the oldest TV I've seen in years (my macbook to TV cables were definitely not going work), but had a fireplace. Anyone who lives or lived in WA knows that the lack of insulation in most houses means the inside is not much warmer than the outside. After a bit of work, we got the fire going, although it didn't quite end up as "warm and cozy" as the renter's instructions said it would be. But having a fire going while drinking wine and reading a book, was a fantabulous way to spend a Saturday evening.

After a fantastic meal of (2 day) marinaded steaks and veggies and a bottle of wine, it was an early night for an early morning rise to mystery location #1 in the morning.
upstairs loft