Cruisin' around with the top down

Hillarys Travel Blog

Since I was fortunate to have a little two seater convertible for the weekend, after I finished dive day 1, I ranged up one of my mates to see if he wanted to go for a sceanic cruise in the evening. I picked him up in East Freo and off we went up the coast. For a lot of the trip, you can see the ocean from the highway. So cruisin' along the ocean with the top down on the convertible in mid twenties heat is what I call a sweet way to spend an evening.

We kept driving, kept driving and then drove somemore and reached a suburb named Hillarys. I had read about it in my lonely planet guide as having a port so I figured we might as well check it out. There's a large mall type place but it's all open air, with restaurants surround the port with a bunch of sail boats and a beach.

On the other side of the buildings are even more boats. Probably the most amount of boats I've seen in one place, not counting the French Riveria. The sun was setting when we were there and I have some sweet pics.

We got fish and chips type food at a restaurant. I had my first scallops (deep fried of course) since arriving in Perth. We also had the mandatory deep fried "fish" (not sure what kind exactly), some dimsums (deep fried vegetarian mush) and the highlight of the night ... a container of mushy peas. The were exactly what their name implied. Who knew mushy peas would taste so much like mushy peas and so nasty at the same time.

After Hillarys, we headed south 'cause I wanted to go to the "Cot", a bar next to the beach in Cottlesloe. Sitting outside with a beer on a Saturday night without a jacket in December is still taking some time to get used to, but I think I'll manage.

Horus380 says:
i love mushy peas, not very common here in Australia, however I always try to get it when I am in the UK
Posted on: Jan 15, 2009