Busselton to Mandurah

Mandurah Travel Blog

After my jetty experience, I continued North Eastern back towards Perth. I saw a sign for a tourist drive so I went with that. It was basically a road through a bunch of trees. After that 20km kind of detour, I was back on the highway towards Bunbury. Since I had seen it on the way down, my first stop was Mandurah. One of the girls I work with is from the town, so I figured I'd check it out. I ate lunch at a Dome restaurant along the waterfront. I don't see why the town has such a bad reputation, but maybe I just happened to stay in the nicer parts.

The next stop was Rockingham. There's a ferry that brings you over to Penguin Island where you can see tiny penguins. After getting lost I finally found it (it's in Shoalwater) and it was going to be a bit too late to go over. So finally after figuring out how to leave Rockingham, I was back on the highway to Perth.

One thing you don't want to see while on the highway is a bulliten saying in big, red letters that there was an accident and it's slow going. About an hour later I arrived home on a drive that should have taken about 20 minutes. Thankfully it was driving home time, so Hamish and Andy were on the radio and kept me entertained while I sat in the freeway converted to a parking lot.

All in all, it was a great weekend of exploring and seeing an entirely different part of Australia that looks unlike any other part I'd visited to date. Highly recommended if you're into beaches, drinking wine and fine dining (the latter, something I didn't try) :)
photo by: amanda576