The Best Botanic Gardens in Australia! (if not the world) and a night out in Pahran

Melbourne Travel Blog

Melbourne skyline

This morning was my first day exploring Melbourne and I already love the city. It's hard to explain what's so great about it except to say that it has a certain feel to it that it just gosh darn awesome! :)

I met up with Cale at lunch time in Federation Square. I was expecting it to be a huge concrete square with lots of pigeons looking for food. First off, the train station is bright yellow and orange and looks really cool. The square has a bunch of funky building in it, lots of open space and a ginormous tv on the side of a building showing the Australia vs. South Africa cricket match. There were a bunch of people out on their lunch break watching the cricket game.

We had a beer along the "mighty" Yarra River and then walked around through the CBD.

beer selection at Lucky Coq
One thing that is different about Melbourne than other cities I've been to with maybe the exception of NYC, are the tiny cafes and restaurants in the alleyways in the CBD. We ended up eating at a small Italian place along one of the lanes.

I was pretty pumped about finding a park and having a nap in it, so we walked over to the Botanic Gardens. Lonely planet calls them Australia's best Botanic Gardens if not the world's best. Having not really been to any other botanic gardens, I can't compare and say they're the best, but for someone who knows nothing about flowers and trees, it was pretty nice.

I was hoping to find a shaded part next to a pond with a swan swimming around in it. Cale thought I was being a bit too picky but about a half hour later, when we were both sweating to death from the heat .

The cricket stadium
... ahhhhhhhhhhhh yes the pond was found AND it even had two swans swimming in it.

After an hour or two laying on the grass annoying the hell out of anyone passing by, we headed to an area called Parhan, which is where he's staying with a friend of his. He showed me around the main strip and we even found a college for circus performers. We went in expecting to see some midgets doing some kind of synchronized dance routine, but came across four pretty well built guys wearing just short shorts throwing a ball around. I wasn't complaining haha

After a few beers at Cale's friend's place, we went to a bar called the Lucky Coq. They had a couple house beers including one called "Black Coq". Seeing the name, we had to try it. It tasted more like a guiness than anything and not quite my style. The bar was kinda empty but it was a Tuesday night. The music was quite good, basically a mix of Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Mase, etc. Good times had by all, I reckon! ;)

The rememberance building
The rememberance building
a pint and a pot
a pint and a "pot"
Botantic gardens. Rabbit vs Seagul…
Botantic gardens. Rabbit vs Seagu…
Botanic Gardens