Kusadasi Travel Blog

Kusadasi

After our sightseeing in Ephesus, we were taken back to the Kusadasi to visit a Turkish Rug facility.  The demonstration was rather interesting as we watched one of the makers work on an actual rug, and learned some of the history behind the patterns found on the rugs and the symbolism of the rug ends.  Apparently the way the rugs were finished off was a sign of the person who made it.  I believe one way symbolized a single female, another was a married woman no children, and then another was married with children.  While we were watching the rug demo, they served us traditional Turkish drinks - choice of Turkish beer, this hot apple type drink I think, and Raki.  OMG, the Raki was worse than Ouzo and even stronger.  I stuck with the beer but tried a sip of the Raki.

Turkish rug in process
  They said they'd be impressed if anyone could drink two of them and no one took them up on their offer - it was very strong.

I knew before coming to Turkey I wanted to get a rug so we proceeded to hang out for an hour or so after, trying to find one I liked.  Like with everything else, I was incredibly picky as to color, motif, size, and certainly cost. :-)  I wanted one I could hang above the fireplace because with two crazy dogs, no way would I put one down on the ground.  I can only imagine the muddy dog prints in the winter.  Uuugh!

Finally found one that worked in the family room and worked out a pretty good deal and we were off for lunch. We asked the guy at the rug place to recommend a very traditional Turkish restaurant and they actually walked us from the store to the downtown area and dropped us off at the restaurant.  We got to meet the owner who took excellent care of us.  He has pictures on his walls from many people who have visited from all over the world so of course, we took a picture with him before leaving.  Back then, I wasn't smart enough to take pictures of food (pre TravBuddy days) so I don't remember everything we ate but it was a pretty traditional Turkish sampler plate.  The food was excellent and sadly, it was time to rush back to the boat so we didn't get left behind!

Various Turkish rugs