Irish Punk in Denver

Denver Travel Blog

The view looking back down loveland pass.

Our final couple of days in the US consisted of a road trip to Denver in the back of a very sporty little Honda (thanks Megan!!). Amazingly we managed to fit two snowboards, boots, bindings, two big back packs and 4 people into the two door car and still have room to perform an irish jig to accompany the "preparation" music for our night ahead.

The drive out of Keystone and down into Denver was stunning. It was about a 3 hour drive all up with the first half of the trip taking us up over Loveland Pass and through amazing mountain views, we even had a sighting of a big-horned sheep. Loveland Pass is a road which takes a series of switch backs to get over the mountains and out of Keystone. These switch backs create a natural and free adventure for boarders and skiiers who can grab a lift to the top of the pass and then charge back down the valley. If you are up for it, head to the pass on a full moon, up to 1000 locals get up there and party all the way back down the hill.

Denver is quite a flat city comprising of about 4 million people, and really acts as a gateway to the Rockies. Our accomodation for the night was at a place called Timbers Resort (courtesy of yet another cheap hook-up by our best friend Sarah), a 15 minute drive from down town Denver and 20 minutes in the opposite direction to the airport (which would prove handy at 4am the following morning for our 6am flight).

And so onto our night....firstly I am not ashamed to admit that when it comes to Irish punk (or any sort of punk really) I am not a huge fan but Sarah was out to open our minds and who was I to stand in the way of a book nerd. So there we were, standing in the Philmore Theatre, amid a crowd of around 4000 diverse punk enthusiasts, ranging from old rockers to young punks with rings in every hole to book nerds, all madly waiting to rock out to the "Drop Kick Murphies".

The Philmore theatre is a pretty impressive venue. Similar to the town hall in Hobart, it has a large standing area in front of the stage with and upstairs area flanking each side. Six massive purple chandeliers are its trademark and its hosted such bands as Rage Against the Machine, The Doors, Paul Simons + many more, the night before Snow Patrol had a sold out gig.

While Anna and Sarah headed into the mosh-pit area (ie most of the standing area) I decided to grab a beer and make myself inconspicuous on the raised sides of the theatre (in the back of my mind I was more than a little scared so if a fight broke out, higher ground was going to be my greatest ally). The lights dimmed, celtic music faded in and then the loudest baseline I have ever heard (and felt) kicked this time the crowd was in a frenzy and I started to think that this could actually be pretty good.

By the end of the night and I dont think I was any closer to liking Irish punk but I do have a new found respect for the energy that it creates and to be fair to the Murphies, they put on a pretty good show. I think Anna and Sarah lasted a 1.5 songs in the mosh pit before they had to get out.

3 hours sleep before we have to be up for the flight to Vancouver via Dallas and then a hellish 11 hour overnight bus trip to the time it sounded genius.

Hope everyone is well at home. Adios

The view looking back down lovelan…
The view looking back down lovela…
photo by: crystalware