Canyon de Chelly (day 2)

Canyon de Chelly National Monument Travel Blog

White House, Canyon de Chelly
In the morning we made a side-trip to the North Rim Drive. Afterwards we drove back to the South Rim again and went to the trailhead of the White House Trail. It is an easy hike but even so I started sweating immediately - temperature was very high again.
Whithe House turned out to be a fascinating piece of ancient architecture (see picture). A rewarding trip to me.

Arround noon we started for Monument Valley.
Since I am German my image of the "Wild West" from childhood on had always been stamped by old Western movies and - shame on me - cigarette commercials! Since a lot of them featured Monument Valley as location going there to me was a trip to the "real" West.
We found a free space at Mitten View Campground which is definitely among my five favourite campsites so far.
Anasazi ruins, Canyon de Chelley, AZ
The setting is awesome! Since the sun was still up we grabbed the chance and drove into the valley with our rented car. The short descent turned out to be very humpy. The underbody of the car hit the ground several times. This was the very moment when both of us thankfully remembred what the guy at the car rental had told us! :-D Driving arround Monument Valley is a must-do. The landscape is speactacular. Unbelievable colours and rock formations.
Later in the evening when we were back at our tent we sudenly heard loud percussion music. Intrigued we went to the Visitor Center and found an Indian percussion group performing a little jam session. Although they probably just played for the tourists I enjoyed it very much. It added to the marvelous view.
White House, Canyon de Chelly
Anasazi ruins, Canyon de Chelley, …
Anasazi ruins, Canyon de Chelley,…
Canyon de Chelly, AZ