second day in the city of Cusco

Cusco Travel Blog

delicious breakfast at Ninos hotel

We had another delicious breakfast at the hotel before heading off in search of the man.  I had no idea what this was, but it was on our Cusco ticket.  We walked back down the main drag, past the dance theater and kept on going.  We walked to the end of the road and kept on going.  The road was under construction but we walked along the sidewalk anyway.  We saw some guys surveying and I had to wonder about the accuracy of their measurements since the rod was warped to the left.

It turns out this man was actually a statue of Pachakuteq.  Of course there were two school groups also touring the statue when we where there.

Mural on main drag
  Each level going up the base had some poster boards telling the story of the Incan leaders in Spanish and English.  They were very interesting and somewhat amusing.  One of them had an interesting translation, something like: “his first order of business was to retrieve his father’s mommy who had been kidnapped…” he he he.

The viewing platform was supposed to offer great views of the city of Cusco but we walked downhill the entire way here, so it really wasn’t that great of a view since we were at the bottom looking up.  But it was still pretty neat.  The statue was the center of a roundabout and it was entertaining watching the traffic cutting each other off and honking.  We also noticed a very nice promenade on the other side of the road construction that we decided would be more scenic to walk home along.

fountain on main drag
  And it was.  I just added the video showing the crazy driving at the roundabout.  It wasn't really that crazy, but I was glad I wasn't driving!  There were no clear lanes and drivers would continually cut eachother off and honk like crazy.  At least they obeyed the stoplights.

We stopped at a little textile museum/store on the way back and went through the very nice museum exhibit.  Two women were weaving and for a donation you could take their photo.  The textiles were very well made (and therefore more expensive) but it was an interesting stop.  It was nearing lunchtime so we worked our way back to the hotel.

Amanda and Sarah were still feeling ill so Steph and I walked back to the wine bar for lunch.

crooked rod
  This time I got a sandwich (but no beer) and we played Rumikub while we waited (I actually won a round!).  I’m glad we went back and I enjoyed it much more this time around.  We had a time for a short nap after lunch but instead I sat in the courtyard writing.  Our afternoon stop was a trip to the ruins just outside Cusco (covered by the Cusco ticket).

The guidebook recommended going to the ruins of Saqsaywaman with a bottle of wine to watch the sunset so we took a cab up there in the late afternoon.  These ruins were interesting because they were made of extremely large stones.  I think the largest stone was 8 meters high!  We walked up along the top and got a very nice overview of the city.

the man statue
   The stones along the bottom were huge and fit together amazingly well!  It was very impressive.  Since we still had some time before sunset, we decided to walk over to the big Jesus on the next hill.  From the city it looks like a big white cross, but up close you could see it was definitely a Jesus.

No surprise, there was a school group up there getting their class picture taken at the base of Jesus.  I thought it was cute so I went over to snap a pic.  On my way back I passed a woman and her little boy facing out toward the path.  I paused, thinking they were getting their photo taken.  The woman laughed and waved me by.  I passed, but didn’t see a photo taker so I turned around for a second look.

llama grazing in roundabout
  Instead I saw a little arc of pee coming from the boy.  I almost got peed on!  Why do people think its okay to just pee wherever, especially on a path where tourists walk (and are walking during the peeing)?

During our time at Jesus, the sky clouded up so we wouldn’t see the sunset.  We walked back to the ruins and sat up on the rock outcrop instead.  It started getting dark so we thought we should leave.  The others wanted to take the path back but I didn’t.  It was getting dark, the path was unlit, we didn’t know where the path went, and it was starting to rain.  So I hired a taxi to take us back and didn’t get any complaints when it started raining harder.  Really, it was about $5 US total for all of us and they were too cheap for that.

traffic at a roundabout with lots of honking, no lanes, people drive however they want
  I figured we walked enough already today and I didn’t feel like wandering in the rain.

We were dropped off at a little restaurant next to the wine bar (per the guidebook).  This restaurant had a friendly little waitress that didn’t speak any English but that didn’t stop her from talking to us for about 15 minutes with none of us having a clue what we were talking about.  I had a really delicious salad (supposedly washed in purified water) and managed to get sick off it, but that was expected.  I figure if I’m going to get sick no matter what I eat then I’m not going to worry too much about what I eat and just get something I’ll enjoy.  It was a tropical salad with chicken, lettuce, celery, apples, peaches and a strawberry.   This was the best salad I had over there.  Yummmmm….

llama grazing in roundabout
traffic at a roundabout with lots…
Inca posterboards
the mad from promenade
the mad from promenade
railroad crossing
railroad crossing
textile exhibit (oops no photos al…
textile exhibit (oops no photos a…
weaving on floor
weaving on floor
yummy sandwich over Rumikub
yummy sandwich over Rumikub
Saqsaywaman ruins
Saqsaywaman ruins
someone didnt get the memo to wea…
someone didn't get the memo to we…
climbing up the ruins
school photo with Jesus
school photo with Jesus
llama looking pretty
llama looking pretty
someone carved the outcrop!
someone carved the outcrop!
me enjoying the rocks
me enjoying the rocks
my yummy tropical salad
my yummy tropical salad
Cusco Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
delicious salad
We ate at Victor Victoria because of the recommended salad bar. We sat at a picnic table on the second floor. I got the tropical salad and the waitre… read entire review
Cusco Sights & Attractions review
gigantic stones make up fortress walls
We took a cab to the ruins on top of the mountain behind Cusco. These ruins are different from the others we’ve seen because they are made of HUGE … read entire review
Cusco Sights & Attractions review
a view of the city from below
The bronze Pachacutec statue is 11.5 m tall and stands on a pedestal 75 ft above the surrounding area. He’s pretty easy to find. Just head downhil… read entire review
Cusco