crazy cab ride to the airport

Juliaca Travel Blog

blurry pic of Puno harbor

We arranged for an early morning cab and had a very interesting ride to the airport.  The first thing I noticed was that the cabbie blessed himself whenever we drove by a church.  The next thing I noticed was that we had no gas.  He pulled over to fill up, but only put in about 2 liters.  Is that even enough to get us to Juliaca, 45 minutes away?  His gas gauge went to about 1/8 full.  Yikes.  The car could barely make it up the hill out of town.  And then just on the edge of town we were pulled over by a police blockade.  I could make out “tourista” and “aeropuerto” but I didn’t know what was going on.  I think it was simply police corruption and greed.  The driver had to pay a S/20 bribe to pass.  It was totally random, or maybe it wasn’t.

police blockade
  Poor guy, that was a lot of money.  About halfway there we ran over a dog.  Ugh, it was not this guy’s day.  But in his defense, the dog ran out in front of us and the driver did swerve into the other lane.  He didn’t stop, just kept on going.  I saw it coming, closed my eyes and didn’t look back.  They really do have too many wild dogs over there.

Juliaca was chaotic, as is every city we drive through.  Cars, people, bikes, tuk tuks, dogs, and who knows what else all sharing the road.  The road was two lanes, minus the lane markings, and often had 4 cars across.  Swerving, honking, slamming on brakes, honking some more, oh the stress!  How do people do it?  There seems to be no road rules except to honk at everything.  Finally we reached the airport and checked in.  We had a super quick breakfast before boarding.  And then we were off to Lima!

streets of Juliaca