the calm before the storm

Ollantaytambo Travel Blog

braids and bambino

We slept pretty well but the stupid rooster woke us up at 4:30.  We had breakfast at 7 in the garden.  We then caught a taxi to Ollantaytambo and got dropped off in the plaza.  We hoofed it down to the train station to get our tickets to Aguas Caliente and to stow our packs.  The guy at the train station informed us we would have to pay for each kilo over 11 that our packs were.  “You must be very strong girls” when he saw how big our bags were.  We had no choice, really, so we paid and left our bags.  Back up in town we went to the ruins (included in the Cusco ticket).  Again, no guide, but this one didn’t seem to have as much that needed explaining.  Right up front were the terraces so lets get going!  Huffing and puffing we made it up to the top.

us by the terraces
  We saw some huge pink rhyolite stones that were hauled up from 5 km away.  Wow, and we could barely make it up with our little day packs.

The stone walls went way up the mountain and a few people went up to the top.  They were whistled down by one of the many Securidad people roaming around.  They like to whistle and you never really know how is getting the whistle so I’m not sure it is a good system.  We walked along the terraces over to a little house thing and then back down.  We seemed to find a little residential area with doorways and windows but no one was home.  Someone had channeled the little stream and made it into a “bath” - must have been those Incas.

We stopped at the Hearts Café for lunch and enjoyed great people watching from the sidewalk tables.

knobs to help move the stones?
  This sweet old English woman moved here to save the world so we ate here.  I had a really tasty meal, maybe one of the best I had in Peru.   It was an English veggie pasty with mashed potatoes and cooked broccoli.  So delicious.  But I got so sick off of it.  But that came later.

After lunch we sat in the plaza until the museum opened back up from its siesta.  While we sat there a taxi driver came up and asked if we needed a taxi to Cusco.  Do we look like we need a taxi?  We're relaxing in the shade and have no luggage and its the middle of the day.  If we wanted a taxi we would be standing on the curb trying to flag one down. At least he didn't honk at us.

We went over to a little museum where we read English translations on wooden paddles for the displays written in Spanish.

Peruvian women and kids
  It was pretty interesting, covering the history of the area, the crops and the culture.  But it was small and we still had plenty of time to kill before our train.  So we walked up behind the museum, following the little stream that ran down the sidewalk. It still amazes me that you can have an open channel of water flowing down the middle of a sidewalk and people just step over it, no big deal.  People were using the water to wash clothes and dishes, but I don’t know if it is drinkable water.  Its these little differences that I notice and love about other countries.  I took a video of the traffic director with the little stream babbling in the background.

Finally it was time for our train.
landslide on far hill
  We collected our backpacks and stopped for a drink by the train station.  Our train was a Vistadome, which means it has windows on the ceiling so we can look out at the mountains above us as we head up the canyon.  It was very comfy and we even got a little snack of a sandwich and cake plus a beverage.  Yay!  We followed a river and it was very scenic but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I could have due to a disagreeable lunch.  It made for a very long train ride and a long night in town.
rhyolite blocks
me by the house
me by the house
us back at the bottom
us back at the bottom
start of residential area?
start of residential area?
very cool carved holes
painting in museum
painting in museum
reading the paddles
reading the paddles
following the stream along the str…
following the stream along the st…
village at the base of the ruins
village at the base of the ruins
locals using the stream
locals using the stream
directing traffic in Ollantaytamb…
Ollantaytambo Sights & Attractions review
Ollantaytambo Temple on Temple Hill
The ruins at Ollantaytambo stretch above the city on the hillside. 200 steps take you up through the agricultural terraces to the temple of Ten Niche… read entire review
Ollantaytambo Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
delicious home cooked food
The idea for this café came from a retired English woman who wanted to raise awareness of the plight of Andean women and children. All profits go to… read entire review
Ollantaytambo Sights & Attractions review
one of best ethnographical museums in Andes
This little museum was fun and interesting. It is touted as one of best ethnographical museums in Andes by our guidebook so we decided to check it ou… read entire review
Ollantaytambo General Tips & Advice review
comfort and scenic
The Vistadome train has bubble windows above the regular windows so you can look up and see the tops of the mountains lining the valley. The train to… read entire review
Ollantaytambo