Welcome to Peru - have a Pisco Sour

Lima Travel Blog

Free drinks

My friend/coworker had planned a trip to Peru over Thanksgiving weekend.  She had invited me and a couple other friends thinking one of us would go.  Turns out all three of us said yes so that's how our group of four came to be.  We left Minneapolis around noon and arrived in Lima via Atlanta at about 11:30 pm.  What chaos when we arrived.  Our big pet peeve (that was reinforced several times) was that everyone crowded right up to the luggage carousel, with their luggage carts, so that not only could you not see your luggage, but if you did see your bag you had absolutely no chance of getting it on the first pass around.  But we were able to elbow our way up to the belt by the time the bags came around on the second pass.

Pisco sour
  Why are people in such a hurry?  They seem to feel their bags are the most important and that nobody else needs to retrieve bags.  First come first serve.  In this case, first to the luggage carousel whether or not their luggage comes first doesn't matter.  Grrr...  Okay, got that out.

We got our backpacks and went through customs and out into the night.  We exited the airport to a million people all shouting and waving - certainly not at us.  We had a reservation at the Ramada across the street because we were catching a flight early the next morning and didn't want to crash at the airport.  I'm so glad we had that room.  When we reserved it, they said we could only have two people in the room.  Well, we didn't want to pay for four so we decided we'd either sneak in or stay at the airport.  Sneaking in was out of the question because we were out-numbered by hotel employees even that late at night.  Turns out we just needed to pay $20 each to the reception worker (who probably pocketed it) and we were all in.  Sweet.  Works for us!

Our room included two double beds, just fine for 4 girls for 6 hours.  It also included a hot continental breakfast and a complimentary drink at the bar.  Even though it was about 1 am, we all headed down for our free drink.  And what else would we get but a Pisco Sour, the national drink of Peru!  And they were very delicious - sort of margarita tasting but made with egg whites (hmmm....might explain why I got sick later on...).  I enjoyed the drink and quick sleep.  Off to the rainforest next!

carlos-enrike says:
Mi country is Awesome!
Posted on: Dec 17, 2008
jos-nijenhuis says:
I want to go back :) I have just been there in September. Sick from Pisco??? Never !
Posted on: Dec 06, 2008
Lord_Mike says:
Sweet!
Posted on: Dec 06, 2008
Lima Hotels & Accommodations review
good for a quick stop over
This hotel is very conveniently located across the street from the Lima airport, an easy walk with your luggage. If you are catching a flight in a fe… read entire review
Lima