Day Three

Helsinki Travel Blog

Today I remember to set my alarm properly and managed to have breakfast today ready for my day in Tallinn. I got back to my room after having breakfast and realised I hadn't given myself much time to actually get to the ferry. I quickly got ready and run to the ferry port. This really wasn't easy as my legs were still aching from the long walk from yesterday. I eventually got the the ferry port and was told that the ferry had been cancelled because of the weather. There was a snow storm coming in and all the ferries had been cancelled. I was actually really looking forward to going to Tallinn and it looked really nice and would have looked even better with a covering of snow. I decided to walk to the Uspensky Cathedral and I must admit, Orthodox churches are some of the most beautiful buildings around.

Unfortunately it was closed when I got there as it was still early so I took some photos and walked bakck to the hotel to wait for everything to open.

At about 11am I left the hotel and walked to the National museum. The snow had started to fall now and I was walking all the way there with a huge grin on my face. I love the snow and it really made my forget all the pain my legs were in. The museum covered the history of Finland from prehistoric times to the present day. I must have spent about 4-5 hours in the museum looking at all the exhibits. I seemed to quickly walk through most of the exhibits and spend ages reading all about the prehistoric Finland. I must be quite sad as I seemed to be the only one spending time in that section, but I thought it was really interesting and well laid out.

When I eventually left the snow was really coming down. Again my grin went from ear to ear as I walked back taking pictures of everything. A lot of the lights had been put up in the street ready for Christmas and it really did start to feel like Christmas had arrived. I miss having winters like that in England and could have stayed in the snow all day. I was even going to create a big snowman on the water front waving at the all the boats, hehe. Unfortunately it was time to go back to the hotel as it was going to be a very early morning for me tomorrow to get the plane back home.

lauro says:
i had a huge grin too last nov. 23 ^_^ as it also snowed heavily in my side of germany! its been two years since i havent seen snow in my city that i have to travel to the alps just to see it.

we were such lucky people!
Posted on: Nov 30, 2008
Tomb at the Suomenlinna Fortress
Tomb at the Suomenlinna Fortress
Sunset at Suomenlinna Fortress
Sunset at Suomenlinna Fortress
Better sunset at Suomenlinna Fortr…
Better sunset at Suomenlinna Fort…
Cannons at Suomenlinna Fortress