The wild west

Takaka Travel Blog

I was awokenby my great uncle holding a cup of tea his morning - tea in bed  -  could get usd to this!  They had laid out a big breakfast spread for me too - I ate marmalademade from grapefruits rom the garden and washed it down with lemon juice squeezed from a garden lemon that morning.  Keith came to pick me up at 9 and we headed off in his car to explore Golden Bay.  Firstly we stopped at a nearby beach to enjoy the view.  The beach was covered in huge seashells -more than I have ever seen in my life.  Next, we drove to the end of Farewell Spit but the view of it was limited.  Next we headed on a road that followed the west coast south.  Keith had never been down that way so it was an adventure for both of us.

The road quickly ceased being paved and we bounced for hours along the windy road that led deeper and deeper into the middle of nowhere.  Along the way we saw lots of hawks and a couple of white herons that are apparently pretty rare.  After about 3 hours of driving we reached a river and the road disappered, so we left the car and forded the river by foot following it down to the most wild and beautiful beach I have ever seen.  The tide was out and we walked along the huge caves carved ino the cliffs that towered above us, cutting the beach off from the rest of the world.  There were also deep channels cut into the rocks leading into the water than ran in perfect straight lines - it was the most remote spot I have ever visisted and I could have stayed forever.  Back in the car we headed back - there was only one way in and one way out of this place.  We stopped at a cafe for tea on the way back - the only sign of civilisation for miles and miles around.  We sat outside and drank in the view of the mountains and vast open space.  Finally back at home we cleaned up and all headed out for dinner at a local restaurant.  The food was lovely and it was so nice to be with family.

Long lost family