On the train

Christchurch Travel Blog

I had time to kill this morning before the train to Christchurch left at 12:30. so I walked around Picton town.  It was lovely, like an English seaside town but without the chavs and boarded up shops!  The view from the bay was spectacular - mountains all around.  I sat there for a long while taking it in and thinking about what a beautiful country this is.  Finally on the train, I was sitting opposite an elderly couple who were part of a tour group.  Most people on the train where old.  10 minutes after pulling out of Picton, the old lady opposite me started puking into a bag, so I decided it was time to go and find a seat in another carriage!  I ended up sitting next to a lovely middle aged lady who was on her way home to Christchurch from a family do.  We chatted the whole way.  She was very excited to find out that in England I live in a house like the ones on Coronation Street which I thought was very cute!  The scenery from the train was spectacular and we saw fur seals as we passed Kiakora (spelling!?!).  We reached Christchurch in the early evening, and the nice lady got her sister in law to give me a lift to my hostel.  The weather is significantly colder here than at the top of the north island, so I'm glad I've hung onto my coat since New York!
photo by: Fulla