The longest train ride

Chiang Mai Travel Blog

I was up suoer early to catch the 8:30 train to Chiang Mai.  I had to lug my backpack to the metro station which was exhausting - sweat was dripping from my face and down my back by the time I got there.  On the train the air con was broken so it was really hot, and although the train moved really slowly it was super bouncy so after about 3 hours I was feeling proper sick.  9 hours to go so I chowed down a load of travel sickness pills and had to bear it.  The toilets became more and more disgusting as the journey went on - mostly because you are thrown from wall to wall like a rag doll whilst trying to aim!  There was a western and a squat toilet - I started off using the western, but after someone spewed in the tiny sink and it was overflowing onto the floor I swapped to the squat!  Anything you put in it had to be hosed down by a little spray tap on the wall.  The traion got a bit delayed but we finally bounced into Chiang Mai just after 9pm.  I headed straight out for food as I had barely eaten all day.  I found a place with a few veggie dishes - I had spicy pumpkin and basil with rice which was delicious.
Chiang Mai