The ancient city

Ayutthaya Travel Blog

Old temple
Today German guy and I (sorry I can't remember his name -it was Polish and not one I'd ever heard before!) headed to Ayutthaya which is supposedly an hour north of Bangkok.  Well....first you have to get to the bus terminal in the north of the city.  We decided to rough it on the public bus - very cheap but crowded so I had to sit literally on the front windowsill - nice and safe!  No air-con either.  The traffic was so bad it took over an hour to get to the bus station, then it was another hour and a half to get to Ayutthaya.  We walked around a couple of the temple remains but the sites were quite spread out and it was unbearably hot so we rented a couple of bikes and went for a ride to the best temple just outside of the city centre.
The local bus
  If someone had told me yesterday that I would be cycling through thai traffic of a bike today I wouldn't have believed them, but we survived ok!  At the temple there was a huge gold buddha, and many people were praying.  They through orange robes up onto the buddha which were then drapped back down over the people's heads as they chanted - it was really interesting to watch.  On the bus on the way back to Bangkok there was a Thai pop music kareoke video playing which kept us very much entertained.  Finally back at Silom road we got a pirate DVD, some beer and pizza and spent the evening in the TV room.  When I finally got to bed at 2:30am, the British girl who had moved into the bed next to mine earlier that day came bursting in with a bloke in tow.  As we were in a strict giorls only dorm, the hostel management were not far behind, asking hiom to leave.  He faked sleeping so they couldn't move him, and as soon as they left the two of them got downto business about 10 metres from where I was trying to sleep.  The girl opposite me who was still up and using her laptop told them to get out so they did - she was completely naked and I saw everything!  TOTALLY GROSS!!!  I wasn't happy as I have to get up at 6:30 to catch the train to Chiang Mai tomorrow.
My seat!