The Whitsunday Islands

Airlie Beach Travel Blog

Daydream Island
Today we went on a boat cruise of the Whitsunday Islands.  I was terrified as I hate boats and haven't been on one for years, but it was awesome - you could hardly feel it move!  The first stop was Hook Island where I tried snorkelling for the first time.  Within 3 minutes of putting my head under the water I saw loads of fish, 2 rays and a giant turtle!  The turtle looked as shocked to see me and I was to see him and he quickly swan off while I splashed around like an idiot going 'oh my god a turtle!!'  Further out the coral was beautiful but I was getting more and more scared knowing there were big fish swimming around me so I didn't stay out in the water for too long.  Our next stop was Whitehaven beach which is possibly the most beautiful beach in the world.  The sand was pure white and the water pure blue and full of fishes.  The sun was out in force today so after an hour of sunbathing we cruised past Hamilton Island to Daydream Island - our final stop.  The whole island was a resort with a bar, pool, shops, minature golf and a purpose built coral reef full of fish.  Kerry and I sat in the shade drinking cocktails and a HUGE lizard came wandering along the path towards us - we took pictures then ate ice-cream and watched the fish in the reef until it was time to go.  Back at the hostel we ate pizza and drank a bottle of wine while watching TV.  I was so exhausted I fell asleep at 9pm - shamefull!
Big lizard!