Sore feet and frostbite

New York Travel Blog

I was planning a lie in due to my 3:30am bedtime the night (morning!) before, but I was wide awake by 8:30.  Thus began another day of not knowing what to do with myself.  It's hard adjusting to not having any work or other commitments on your time - I'm finding the slow pace difficult.  I almost didn't make it anywhere today, as my legs hurt so much from the huge amount of walking I did yesterday, I could barely make it to the kitchen!  Eventually I made it through the park to the Met museum where I spend the morning admiring various works of art that I don't understand!  The highlight was a Damien Hurst piece - a shark suspended in a tank of formaldahide (spelling?!).  After that I headed downtown for a pastrami on rye at Katz's Deli - surely the greatest sandwich in the world?  I was determined to watch the sun go down over the Brooklyn bridge, but in my hast not to miss the event, I got there about 40 mins too early.  I tried to wait it out in the freezing cold and howling wind but had to admit defeat when I neared the point of death and scarpered quickly back to the hostel for a scalding hot shower.  Bliss!
New York