Ocean Park

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Today I decided to go to the Ocean park - a theme park on Hong kong sland that had rides but also sealife and animals to see.  As I absolutely hate rides I was going only for the animal and sea life!  The park was crazy - built into the side of a really steep hill with escalators taking people up and down as well as a cable car.  Stupid me picked Easter weekend to go, so the place was rammed and the animal exhibit was closed for refurbishment until later in the month.  That laft only 3 real attractions - the jelly fish, the aquarium and the dolphin show which started at 3:30.  Having learned from the Peak tram experience the other day that people in Hong Kong don't have the same concept of 'personal space' as we do in Europe, I was fully prepared to get battered around in the jellyfish exhibit and the aquarium.
  Even then, it was so crowded that it really started to bug me getting pushed about so I didn't really get to enjoy what I was seeing.  At 3 I headed for the main stage for the big dolphin show, thinking I would get there early and get a good seat...halfway there an announcement says that it is full to capacity and everyone else will have to wait until 5 - screw that!!  I was so pissed off that I paid HK$200 to see some jellyfish through hoards of people and nothing else!!  Never mind.  Later on that night I went to a vegetarian restaurant I had found on the internet.  The staff managed to find an english menu for me but it was obvious I was the only westerner to have gone in there ever!  As I lifted the chopsticks to my mouth for the first bite I became aware of the whole restaurant watching me.  I thought I was doing pretty well (the food was going in my mouth!), but I was obviously wrong as the guy sitting opposite me then gave me a demonstration on how to hold them properly.  So funny!