Into the jungle

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

View from the hostel
Over breakfast I got chatting to a British guy and girl and we decided to head to the Batu Caves in northern KL together.  It was a long and bumpy bus ride to get there, but the cave was awesome.  There is a huge gold statue at the entrance, then you walk up about 270 steps to get to the entrance to the temple.  The cave is really wet and FULL of monkeys who were obviously used to being fed because they were snatching at people's bags and one was drinking out of a coke can!  There were also chickens and kittens in the cave which was a bit random.  Back down the stairs we took a taxi to FRIM - a kind of pocket of rainforest in the city.  The taxi driver totally ripped us off on the price, but its almost impossible to haggle for a fair price when you are a tourist!  When we arrived, everyone was at prayer so we had to wait an hour and a half until the information centre opened.
  The nice lady there mapped out a short trekking route for us and off we went.  First we passed a pond wih the biggest fish I have ever seen in my life - the lady in the info centre said it eats people and I think I believe her after seeing it!  The path quickly led into deep forest and it was easy to forget that we were still in the city.  On the way back a car with music blaring out pulled up next to us and 2 young indian men jumped out - it was a bit intimidating at first, but they were just curious.  The one that spoke English spoke only to Matthew, asking him how old he was, whether we were his wives or sisters, and how old we are.  Every answer was translated excitedly to his friend.  Back at the hostel, I ate and had a beer then watched a film called 21 grams which was possibly the most depressing film I've ever seen!