Hello snow!

Queenstown Travel Blog

I woke up today to horrid drizzly weather, but wasn't worried about flying to Queenstown as the flight from Auckland to Nelson had been fine....that was until I got to the airport.  The lady who checked me in informed me that the weather in Queenstown was 'marginal' and that the plane before ours had been turned around.  For that reason that had changed the plane from a little propeller thing to a jet as that had a better chance.  Needless to say I was terrified the whole way, but it really wasn't that bumpy.  You couldn't see anything through the thick clouds, so when we landed and they let us out onto the tarmac I was stopped in my tracks in amazement at the huge mountains towering around the town - capped with snow!  It was trully breathtaking.  The ground temperature was 6 degrees when we landed, and apparently it was not usual to have snow on the mountains at this time of year.  It was almost lunchtime so I headed to the vegetarian place I wanted to try and settled in for a beer.  Well, there was only one veggie dish on the menu!  How can they promote themselves as a vegetarian restaurant!?!  Anyway, I had nachos which didn't go down right and I felt ill for the rest of the day.

Queenstown is not very big, so I wandered around then popped into the underwater observatory at the edge of the lake.  Me and another British girl sat in there for ages watching the trout and ducks swim about.  After that I headed back to the hostel and watched DVDs and ate and drank until bedtime.  I was still feeling bluh at bedtime, and woke up in the middle of the night with really bad stomach ache.  Stupid nachos!
Queenstown