Heading north

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

I struggled with my heavy bag through the hot and very humid streets of Singapore to the bus top, and then on to the station to catch the train to Kuala Lumpur.  The train itself was rather nice - a bit dated but it had air con and seats that reclined a good way.  At the border with Malaysia (about 20 mins after setting off) everyone had to get out of the train and go through passport control.  I decided to use the bathroom while there and had my first experience with a squat toilet - the first of many I should imagine!  The view from the train was interesting at first - endless forest with little villages hidden amogst the trees, but it soon became repetitive.  The middle aged man sitting opposite me started questioning me about my name, age, marital status etc.  He was getting off the train after a couple of hours but offered to go with me another 5 hours to KL and find a place we could stay together - I politely declined!  Finally after 7 hours on the train we pulled into KL station.  It was after dark so I grabbed a cab and headed to the hostel.  The driver pointed out all the sights on the way.  The hostel is lovely - I was warmly greeted by the folks who run the place - you have to take your shoes off at the door, so it felt very homely.  As it was a cheap place, i'd splashed out and booked a single room - it was luxery to curl up in a private bed for a good sleep for a change!