Fun with Mexicans and Brazilians

San Diego Travel Blog

Me and the Brazilian boys
Thiago - a Brazilian guy offered to accompany me to Tijuana this morning, as I was a little apprehensive about going alone, but once again I was up at the crack of dawn, so I felt bad about walking him and went alone.  It was really easy to get to Mexico - about 40 mins on the trolley.  You have to get off at the border and walk across a bridge and through a market to get the main street.  I was expected there to be crowds of tourists, but it appeared that I was the only non-mexican in Mexico that day!  It was a little intimidating, with people stopping me every couple of strides to offer me taxi, taco, drink, jewellery, drugs.  I've never said 'no thank you' so many times in one day in my life.  I also got called 'beautiful' and 'blondy' which really ruined the experience for me - I was too afraid to take out my camera or stop to look at anything, so really just wandered up and down the main street stopping to get some postcards.
Sunset over Pacific beach
  I did stop to pat a donkey painted as a zebra though - I adore animals and couldn't resist. I asked the owner if I could take a photo of 'Nico' the donkey, but he charged for photos, so I agreed to pay him to take one.  Next thing I know I'm ON the donkey and the guy is dressing me in sombrero, poncho and a fake wooden gun!  So so so horribly embarrassing - sitting there feeling like the biggest tourist mug in the world!  It's such a cheesy photo too.  After that, I quickly scarpered back the the US (after standing in the world's longest line to cross the border) and headed back to the hostel as I wasn't feeling well (surely a result of spending hours in soaking wet clothes the day before!).  Whilst I was eating, Thiago and the other Brazilian guys showed up and invited me to Pacific beach to watch the sun go down.  I gladly accepted, and we hopped on a bus that took us there.  The sunset was beautiful, but it got cold after the sun went down, so we headed back to the hostel once more.  Thiago and I spent the evening together drinking in the party room and chatting to some people that had arrived that day.  One girl had stayed with Basia at a hostel in San Fransisco the week before - small world!
San Diego