Exploring Hong Kong Island

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Again I woke up very late - this looks like it may be a problem in my windowless room!  Today I wanted to explore Hong Kong island so I caught the MRT to Central and wandered to the peak tram station.  The queue was enormous so I decided to try again later.  Heading back the way I had come I decided to check out Soho - another good area for bars and restaurants.  I was starving hungry by this point, so elected to eat at a nice looking place despite the expensive price.  The menu had loads of veggie choices including pumpkin rissotto - my favourite!  After an awesome lunch and beer I wandered along Hollywood road to a temple, then up a huge hill to the zoological gardens that had gibbons and some other random animals.
  It was getting towards sundown so I went back to the peak tram station - the queue was much shorter but I still had to wait for ages and got totally shoved around by everyone else trying to cram onto the tram.  The ride was super-cool - really steep!  At the top however, the tram lets you out into a shopping center and it turns out that if you want to go outside to see the views of the city, you have to pay extra!!  I was very annoyed but managed to find a spot behind the back of Burger King where you could kind of see the view if you leaned really far over.  Rip off!  After more queuing and getting shoved around to get the tram back down I was totally pissed off at the whole experience.  Next I headed back to Kowloon to watch the festival of lights at 8pm.  Whilst the show was on I got chatting to a British guy and his Canadian friend, but they then headed up to the peak, so I didn't go with.  As I had eaten such a huge and late lunch I didn't have any dinner and just watched TV for ages before going to sleep.
The peak tram