OceaniaFijiNadi

Crossing the equator

Nadi Travel Blog

I had to miss out an entry on the 19th Dec as I crossed the international date line flying to Fiji, as well as the equator.  I had had a discussion with Adam the night before about the toilet water draining the other way in the southern hemishere and what happens to water in toilets positioned exactly over the equator?  I had half a mind to spend the whole flight in the bathroom with the tap running to see what happened!  My original plan was to stay in Nadi for a couple of nights before heading for the coral coast, but as my flight was pushed back I was going straight to the second hostel instead.  The bus ride was almost 2 hours which was longer than I had anticipated, but the scenery was great.  We passed villages make of thatched and tin shacks, children swimming in lagoons, cows, goats and horses running loose by the road sides.  Eventually we reached the hostel which was paradise.  It consists of a group of bungalows set in the jungle that lead out onto a beach and a lagoon.  There is a swimming pool, hammocks, a volleyball court, a bar & lounge and sea kayacks.  I had a quick dip in the pool as it was still very hot when I got there, then watched a few volleyball games before a BBQ dinner laid on by the hostel.  After dinner I had a couple of beers but passed on the opportunity to go to a nearby resort for the evening, as I was so tired from all the travelling.  There were loads of ants and lizars in my room, so i wrapped myself up tight in my sleep sheet and sleep with the light on - what a wimp!
Nadi